Gathering open-ended question text into one sheet

  1. #1
    DaveCVC
    Guest

    Gathering open-ended question text into one sheet

    I have an Excel file with data from 60 or so respondents to a questionaire.
    I have all my raw data on one worksheet. On another worksheet I have totals
    for the various questions broken out in various ways. I would like to create
    another worksheet that lists the answers to an open-ended question at the end
    of the questionaire. Less than half of the people responding wrote comments
    so I don't want to include blanks. I'd like to have a consolidated list of
    the comments in a tidy, separate sheet.

    As yet, I've been unable to figure out how to do this. Any help would be
    appreciated.

  2. #2

    Re: Gathering open-ended question text into one sheet

    Just a guess.

    Say your data is laid out like:

    Column A: Respondent ID
    Column B: Question Number
    Column C: Response

    You could apply data|filter|autofilter to the whole range.
    Then filter to show only the question number you want.
    Then filter to show the non-blanks.

    (I'd leave the data in one worksheet and use the filters, but you could copy
    those visible cells to a new sheet if you really, really want.)