Extend range to sum

  1. #1
    Ivor Williams
    Guest

    Extend range to sum

    I want to have cell C1 display the sum of an unknown number of cells in
    column D. The list in column D will grow over time. How can this be done
    without specifying a range much larger than I currently need?

    Ivor

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Extend range to sum

    Ivor

    Check out Dynamic Ranges that allow for growth here at Debra Dalgleish's site.

    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3

    Re: Extend range to sum

    Can you use the whole column?

    =sum(d:d)

    Excel is smart enough not to actually have to check each of those 65536 cells.