number of character occurences in a cell

  1. #1
    Ron
    Guest

    number of character occurences in a cell

    Hello,

    Can anyone tell me if there is an excel built in function
    that will count the number of occurences of a character in
    a cell? For example, if cell D5 is "11,2,35,4" and I want
    to count the number of commas in the cell, the result
    should be 3.

    thanks
    Ron

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: number of character occurences in a cell

    Try...

    =LEN(D5)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(D5,",",""))

    Hope this helps!