How do I enter degrees, minutes, seconds

  1. #1
    Edwn
    Guest

    How do I enter degrees, minutes, seconds

    I have an excal project that requires me to use degrees, minutes and seconds.
    How do I enter this into a cell

  2. #2
    jennifer
    Guest

    RE: How do I enter degrees, minutes, seconds

    For the degrees go to insert menu and select symbol; make sure your font says
    symbol and locate the degree symbol, press enter.
    For the time, go to format menu and select cells, press the number tab and
    select time and find the format you want to use.

  3. #3
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: How do I enter degrees, minutes, seconds

    Hi Edwn

    for a good explaination on the topic check out
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    I just ask for the date in three cells putting "Degrees? " in (say) A1, "Minutes? ",in A2, and "Seconds? " in A3 with the data entered in B1, B2, B3 respectively. (Later of courrse you will lock all the cells except the ones in which data is to be entered). Then in another cell put "=A1+B1/60+C1/3600". If you are talking latitude and longitude you will ask "N or S?" in A4 and get the answer in B4. Then (assuming the last calculation was done in C1) write in D1 "IF (UPPER(C1))="S".-C1,C1" to get a negative figure if the latitude is Southern. Depending on how bright the users will be you may want to validate the input!

  5. #5
    AlfD
    Guest

    Re: How do I enter degrees, minutes, seconds

    Hi!

    When you have formatted a cell as [h]:mm:ss, enter your data as, for
    example, 12:48:06.
    You will then find you can calculate using the contents of the cell
    (addind, multiplying etc).