double line spacing using excel 2000

  1. #1
    Dan
    Guest

    double line spacing using excel 2000

    I have a paragraph of writing, how do i get the text to be double line
    spaced? I am using excel 2000.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: double line spacing using excel 2000

    Excel doesn't have a line spacing setting. You could add line breaks by
    pressing Alt+Enter at the end of a line, then another Alt+Enter to
    create a blank line.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    This is not the nicest of solutions but is the easiest I can think of. Insert a word object onto the worksheet and then you have all the word formatting options; including double line spacing.

    Some time ago I wrote a formula that took into account the font, text and width of cell and returned the text with additional line feeds. But I didn't really like the result from a maintenance point of view.

    Just a final thought. If you used a teletype font (one where all the letters are the same width) like Courier a simple calculation of the number of letters would allow you to produce a formula that would allow you to split the line up appropriately.

    hope this helps

  4. #4
    Dan
    Guest

    Re: double line spacing using excel 2000

    Does this aply to newer versions of excel?

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: double line spacing using excel 2000

    Yes, in newer versions of Excel you'd have to add manual line breaks to
    simulate double spacing.

    In any version, you could insert a Word Document (Insert>Object), and
    use its formatting features.

  6. #6
    Dan
    Guest

    Re: double line spacing using excel 2000

    i double spaced the paragraph in word then imported it into excel. The
    paragraph went back to single spaced!!

  7. #7
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: double line spacing using excel 2000

    In Word, you have settings for line spacing, which apply to the space that is
    added between lines when the document is viewed or printed. Excel, being a
    spreadsheet program and not a word processor, doesn't have this setting. I
    believe the closest you'll come is to set the alignment for the cell to Wrap
    Text, and the vertical alignment to Justify. Then you can increase the row
    height and get the appearance of "double spacing" within the cell. But if you
    have some cells in the row that need, say, 5 lines, with others that need only
    2, the latter cells will have much more space between lines than the former.

  8. #8
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: double line spacing using excel 2000

    How did you import it?

    In Word, create and save a document with the formatting you want
    (a maximum of 1 page will display in Excel)
    In Excel, you could choose Insert>Object
    Select the 'Create from file' tab
    Click the Browse button
    Find and select the Word document that you created.
    Click the Insert button
    Click OK

  9. #9
    Dan
    Guest

    Re: double line spacing using excel 2000

    Debra D, Thank you for solving my problem

  10. #10
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: double line spacing using excel 2000

    You're welcome. Thanks for letting me know that it solved the problem.