How to open a spreadsheet with Macros disabled

  1. #1
    Mauricio Silva
    Guest

    How to open a spreadsheet with Macros disabled

    How do I open a spreadsheet with macros disabled already?

    Reason: I am exporting data from Access to a pre-formated spreadsheet (which
    I cannot change). Every time I open the file, a screen asking Enable/Disable
    macros appears.

    Is there an option to open the spreadsheet with them disabled already? I
    know it is not an MS Access matter, it is just matter of knowing the right
    option to do it.

    Thanks

    Mauricio Silva

  2. #2
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: How to open a spreadsheet with Macros disabled

    "Mauricio Silva" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > How do I open a spreadsheet with macros disabled already?
    >
    > Reason: I am exporting data from Access to a pre-formated spreadsheet

    (which
    > I cannot change). Every time I open the file, a screen asking

    Enable/Disable
    > macros appears.
    >
    > Is there an option to open the spreadsheet with them disabled already? I
    > know it is not an MS Access matter, it is just matter of knowing the right
    > option to do it.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mauricio Silva

    Do you want the macros to be disabled without asking? I don't think so. I
    mean, what if you suddenly want them to be enabled, how should that be done?

    /fredrik

  3. #3
    Jebaneesa
    Guest

    Re: How to open a spreadsheet with Macros disabled

    Mauricio,

    All you have to do is before you open any workbooks go to the tools menu,
    select options and then select the security tab. From there you can change
    the Macro security, depending on which version of Excel you are using you may
    have to click another button called "Macro Security" to adjust the settings.

    Hope this helps

    Jebaneesa

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to open a spreadsheet with Macros disabled

    Either set macro security to "High" or hold down the SHIFT key while the book
    is opening.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Fredrik Wahlgren
    Guest

    Re: How to open a spreadsheet with Macros disabled

    > Either set macro security to "High" or hold down the SHIFT key while the

    book
    > is opening.

    Isn't the macro security a global setting? If so, that would affect other
    sheets which the user wants to open with macros enabled.

    /Fredrik

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to open a spreadsheet with Macros disabled

    Correct.

    It would affect all workbooks with macros.

    But can be used as a temporary method to get into the one workbook without
    macros being enabled.

    When done with this workbook, reset the security level.

    To quote Abe Lincoln "you can't please all the people all the time"

    Gord

  7. #7
    Mauricio Silva
    Guest

    Re: How to open a spreadsheet with Macros disabled

    Actually,
    I was hoping for an command line option Like:

    c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe "My file.xls"
    \disablemacros