Any way to convert column of numbers from positive to negative?

  1. #1
    Sue
    Guest

    Any way to convert column of numbers from positive to negative?

    Hi all,

    Is there any way to convert a column of numbers that are positive to be
    negative? We create a text file from our general ledger program that has all
    the transactions for the past year, then import that file into Excel. We use
    the text to columns to convert the text file to a usable format where the debits
    are in one column and the credits in another. The problem is that all the
    numbers are shown as positive so when we net various figures the amount is not
    correct. Here's an example:

    DR-amount CR-amount
    8,239.32
    23,545.26
    18,028.12
    200,000.00
    15,490.71
    652.20
    16,590.00
    130.00
    8.00
    654.75
    308.00
    895.09

    I want all the numbers in the credit column to be negative; is there any way to
    do this without manually editing every entry? Thanks!

    Sue

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Any way to convert column of numbers from positive to negative?

    Hi Sue

    yes, type a -1 in a cell somewhere and copy it, select your credit column
    and choose edit / paste special / multiply

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: Any way to convert column of numbers from positive to negative?

    Hi
    One way is to type -1 in a blank unused cell. Copy this and then select your
    CR column. Click Edit / Paste Special / Multiply.
    Make sure you back-up your sheet before you start.

    --
    Andy.

  4. #4
    Sue
    Guest

    Re: Any way to convert column of numbers from positive to negative?

    No wonder I didn't think of that - it's too easy! 8*) Thanks very much to you
    and Julie!

    Sue