Finding a minimum value

  1. #1
    Jan Kronsell
    Guest

    Finding a minimum value

    I have a spreadsheet with 7 columns. In clolumns A I have some names, and in
    column B some numbers, fx

    A1 1 100 200 500 800 900
    A1 2 150 300 600 1000 1500
    A1 3
    A2 1
    A2 3
    A2 5 and so on.

    In columns C:G I have some sizes. Only some are show above.

    If I specify fx A1 in I1, 2 in I2 and 458 in I3, I need a formula that
    returns the value 600 from row 2. That is a value that meets the condition
    Name =A1, Number = 2 and size the smallest size, larger than the size
    specified in I3.

    I tried with VLOOKUP in combination with IFs, and I tried with SUMPRODUCT,
    but I have not been able to find a solution so far. Can anybody help?

    Jan

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Finding a minimum value

    Jan,

    If you can reverse the order of your sizes, that is 900,800,500,200,10 etc.,
    this will work

    =INDEX(C1:G10,MATCH(I1&I2,A1:A10&B1:B10,0),MATCH(I3,INDIRECT("C"&MATCH(I1&I2
    ,A1:A10&B1:B10,0)&":G"&MATCH(I1&I2,A1:A10&B1:B10,0)),-1))

    this is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jan Kronsell