Excel Filtering doesn't work with large files

  1. #1
    Andy
    Guest

    Excel Filtering doesn't work with large files

    Frequently when using large Excel files (60K rows by 40 columns), when
    applying filter criteria, it does now always seem to filter correctly. Either
    filters nothing, parts of the column etc, yet the filter is DEINFTELY applied
    correctly. This occurs when filtering using both the drop down filter, as
    well as the custom method.

  2. #2

    Re: Excel Filtering doesn't work with large files

    The dropdowns in data|filter|autofilter have a limit of 1000 unique entries.
    You can filter (using the custom option) on other values--but only 1000 will
    show in the dropdown.

    If you're filtering correctly, but some rows aren't included, make sure you
    select your complete range before applying the data|Filter|autofilter.

    If you let excel guess at the range and you have an empty row/column, xl may not
    guess what you really want.

    Debra Dalgleish has some work arounds for that 1000 limit:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits

  3. #3
    Andy
    Guest

    Re: Excel Filtering doesn't work with large files

    Was aware of the 1000 limit for the dropdown filter method. Even when
    selecting one of the drop-down options or using the custom filter, the
    programme still does not always filter properly.

  4. #4

    Re: Excel Filtering doesn't work with large files

    I'm not sure what that means. Does it mean that there are rows excluded from
    the filter range?

    Or does it mean that a value that you expected doesn't show up?

    Maybe you have extra spaces in one of the values???

  5. #5
    Andy
    Guest

    Re: Excel Filtering doesn't work with large files

    Sorry if my response wasn't clear. When applying a filter (either from the
    dropdown menu or by using the custom filter), the filtered results sometimes
    excludes rows that I have filtered for, includes rows which I have not
    filtered for, or on occassion does not alter the number of rows at all. No
    apparent reason nor consistency...

    Hope this is a little clearer.

  6. #6
    Alan Beban
    Guest

    Re: Excel Filtering doesn't work with large files

    Sounds like the excluded rows may have trailing or leading spaces in the
    filter column cell.

    Alan Beban

  7. #7

    Re: Excel Filtering doesn't work with large files

    If it's not the extra spaces (or even different values like:
    hello vs. he11o
    (first has ELLs, second has Ones)

    Then I'd double check the autofilter range. Either select the whole range first
    (bottom right through top left) and remove the filter, then reapply.

    Or even do this:

    Alt-f11 (to get to the VBE)
    ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)

    ?activesheet.autofilter.range.address

    Does that return all the rows in what you think is your filtered range?

    If no, then remove and reapply that filter.

    If yes, what are you filtering on?

    A simple value?
    If yes, type that simple value in a cell (I'll use A1)
    find one of the cells that's trouble (I'll use X99)

    Then put
    =a1=x99
    in another cell.

    If that comes back false, then you don't have an exact match?