Trying to create a Sales Projection/Forecast/Estimate

  1. #1
    S L Pace
    Guest

    Trying to create a Sales Projection/Forecast/Estimate

    I'm trying to create a estimated sales pace for the month at my restaurant
    from a chart that has our daily sales in it.

    The current chart has the following formula "=(C38/COUNT(C6:C36))*31" in
    cell C42. This formula takes cell C38 which is the TOTAL SALES for the month
    using the formula "=SUM(C6:C36)". This formula takes the DAILY SALES from C6
    to C36 and obviously adds them up. Our daily sales vary greatly, as on the
    weekends we do double to triple our weekday business.

    Right now the formula is giving us the same number as our sales total for
    the month which from prior experience is probably off by about 27 thousand
    dollars.

    According to what I can tell the COUNT function allows 1 to 30 arguments is
    this what is causing the problem? And how do I create a solution?

    Software: Excel 2000
    O/S: Windows 2000

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Trying to create a Sales Projection/Forecast/Estimate

    If you have zeros or formulas that evaluate to zero in column C for the
    future days in the month, the COUNT() function will still count them. Thus,
    you are taking your total sales so far, dividing by 31, then multiplying by
    31, leaving you with your total sales for the month.

    Try using =COUNTIF(C6:C36,">0")

  3. #3

    Re: Trying to create a Sales Projection/Forecast/Estimate

    My first guess is that you have calculation set to manual.

    tools|options|calculation tab.

    And the 30 arguments isn't a problem for your formula. It refers to things
    like:

    =count(a1,a2,a3,b1,b2,b3,....)

    =count(c6:c36) is just using one argument.

    ===
    My second guess is that some of your numbers aren't really numbers--they're text
    masquerading as numbers.

    What do you get when you put =count(c6:c36) in another cell?
    what do you get when you put =counta(c6:c36) in another cell?

    If you think all your values are numbers, do these formulas match?

  4. #4
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Trying to create a Sales Projection/Forecast/Estimate

    Your formula (C38/COUNT(C6:C36))*31 takes the average daily sales and
    multiplies by the number of days in the month, which is why it matches
    the total sales amount.

    If you have a date associated with each daily sales figure, you might
    use the WEEKDAY function to sum sales for each Monday, each Tuesday,
    etc. This would show how each day contributes to your total monthly
    sales figure, and (from a marketing perspective) would provide
    visibility as to what day you might have a sales promotion.

    For instance: to get total sales for all Sundays:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(B6:B36)=1),C6:C36)
    .... assuming your dates are in B6:B36.

    Note the sum of these numbers will still add up to your total sales
    figure; from here you can apply historical percentages of sales
    increase / decrease (if you have that data) to make projections.