How do I split a list by every other one in excel?

  1. #1
    jont
    Guest

    How do I split a list by every other one in excel?

    I need to divide a list I have in two equally. I want to do it by selecting
    every other one. Is ther a formula or macro I can use to do this?

  2. #2
    Lady Layla
    Guest

    Re: How do I split a list by every other one in excel?

    Is it a list in 1 column and you need to make it into 2 columns? If so,
    Download Asap Utilities Add-in and use Advance Transposer -- select 2 columns
    and let it go

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jont
    Guest

    Re: How do I split a list by every other one in excel?

    Thanks for the info. However it is a large datebase with about 2000 entries
    and multiple columns. I need to select every other row, cut them and then
    paste them to a new list. Then collapse the empty rows on the original list.

  4. #4
    AlfD
    Guest

    Re: How do I split a list by every other one in excel?

    Hi!

    Worksheet method:

    Choose an empty column at the end of the database (don't leave gaps)
    Suppose this is col DA
    In DA1 put =mod(ROW(),2) (which evaluates to 0 in even rows and 1 in
    odd rows)
    Copy this down the length of your database.
    Start Data > Filter > Autofilter and select 1 in col DA
    Now select all cells (ctrl+A) followed by F5 > Special > Visible cells
    only.
    Paste to a new worksheet. That's half the job done.
    Now do the same selecting 0 instead of 1.
    You have 2 sheets satisfying your requirements. ? Dump the original

    Alf

  5. #5
    jont
    Guest

    Re: How do I split a list by every other one in excel?

    Pardon my misunderstanding! When you say "copy this down the length of your
    database" how do you mean that?