Reorganize list

  1. #1
    DWeb
    Guest

    Reorganize list

    Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right Excel group to post this question
    in, but I am hopeful that someone can point me in the right direction:

    I have a worksheet where all the rows represent tasks and the columns are
    named "Requirements", "Build", "Test", "Deploy". The intersection of the
    rows and columns have a numeric value (hours).

    I would like to move this data into a separate worksheet where there is a
    row for each task, but where the columns from the original worksheet
    ("Requirements", "Design", "Build", etc.) are now repeated beneath each task
    with the original numeric data (hours) in the adjacent column.

    So, I have this:

    Requirements Design Build
    Task 1 8 5 10
    Task 2 5 10 8

    And want it to show up on another worksheet like this:

    Task 1
    Requirements 8
    Design 5
    Build 10

    Task 2
    Requirements 5
    Design 10
    Build 8

    Does anyone have an example of a macro or worksheet functions that can do
    this? Another point is that the original list will change, so I need to be
    able to dynamically recreate the new worksheet as changes occur.

    Thank you!

  2. #2

    Re: Reorganize list

    John Walkenbach has a technique that comes very close to what you want at:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip068.htm

  3. #3
    DWeb
    Guest

    Re: Reorganize list

    Thank you! I used this technique which got me on the way to the outcome I'm
    looking for.