Problem.... Nested countifs?

  1. #1
    Nick
    Guest

    Problem.... Nested countifs?

    I want to be able to count the number of clients who are marked as "X" in
    column Q .... and who are marked as "Low" in column M.

    I tried countif... but it counted the number of clients marked Low and added
    it to the number of X's.

    tia
    Nick.

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Problem.... Nested countifs?

    try
    =sumproduct((q2:q200="X")*(m2:m200="Low"))

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Problem.... Nested countifs?

    You can also use the Data > Filter > AutoFilter to filter these conditions
    out and bring only them up on the screen for viewing...........

    Vaya con dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    Ian
    Guest

    Problem.... Nested countifs?

    Use a pivot table.
    If the three columns are Client, M, and Q (you'll have
    put name at the top for this -- lets call Q Yes/No and M
    High/Low) highlight the entire range and do Data>>Pivot
    table and just click Finish. This will put the pivot in
    a new worksheet.

    From the field list drag and drop "high/Low" into the Row
    Fields, "Yes/No" into the column fields and "client" into
    the data fields. Then right click on the data fields and
    set "field settings" to count (if it's not already).
    This will create a 2x2 table with the info you want. You
    can click the down arrow buttons on each row/column to
    hide and data you don't want to see.

  5. #5
    Nick
    Guest

    Re: Problem.... Nested countifs?

    Thanks Don! This works perfectly. I modified the second half to give me a
    range and that works too. I queried "Q2:Q500" for a value and then asked
    for it to search the range "M2:P500". It added perfectly. This solves a
    huge problem for me and save me a lot of time doing it manually.

    I am very thankful for you suggestion!

    Nick.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Nick
    Guest

    Re: Problem.... Nested countifs?

    Yes... I had been doing that but our managers want to see a "Report" style
    copy of our results.
    Don saved me many hours work each week with his suggestion.

    Nick.

    news:%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Nick
    Guest

    Re: Problem.... Nested countifs?

    I have about forty columns. The sheet manages client programming and
    movement. We program them depending upon their assessment (L, M, or H). We
    needed to report to managers how many of each catagory are taking what
    programming. Don's suggestion did the trick perfectly.

    Thanks,

    Nick.

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8