automatic file saving

  1. #1
    Tom Haley
    Guest

    automatic file saving

    Having taken over a job function from a departed colleague, I have been
    going through some of his excel 97 worksheets.
    Trying to sort out older versions of files vs. more recent files, about all
    that I have to rely upon is the file modified date.
    After opening and closing several files without making any changes, I was
    dismayed to discover that each file now shows a new file modified date of
    today. I didn't save the file on closing, so I presume there is an excel
    option that is requesting a file save each time the file is closed.
    I can't find it.
    I've been in and out of excel help, in and out of tools/options.
    The closest thing I can find is a reference in Excel Help to "AutoSave."
    But my version of Excel 97 does not appear to have the Excell AutoSave add
    in.
    What am I missing?
    What is controlling the automatic saving of files each time they are opened?

  2. #2

    Re: automatic file saving

    The only time I noticed this is when the files were on a shared network drive.

    I blamed the Operating system.

    It actually went away pretty fast. I figured that the IT folks did some tweak
    to the Network operating system (just a wild guess).

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: automatic file saving

    Maybe a "Before close" macro?

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Tom Haley
    Guest

    Re: automatic file saving

    Nope. No active macros.
    But thanks.

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: automatic file saving

    Maybe try copying some of the files to your local hard drive and opening
    them from there and see if you still have the same problem............
    This should tell you if the problem is contained within the file or
    not.........

  6. #6
    Tom Haley
    Guest

    Re: automatic file saving

    Good thought. I tried it and the problem followed the files. It does not
    appear to be a server related problem

  7. #7
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: automatic file saving

    OK, at least that's something..........now you might try taking one file and
    since there are no macros involved, just copy and pasteing the data and
    formulas over to another new workbook.........then see what you
    have............if it still follows, then try doing the same thing, but only
    one sheet at a time until you find the offendor.