Formatting information copied and pasted from the WEB to excel

  1. #1
    jbsand1001
    Guest

    Formatting information copied and pasted from the WEB to excel

    When I copy and paste information from a particular web site it will not
    allow me to add/subtract the informaiton in my excel spreadsheet. I have
    tried copying the information and paste special as value only to no avail.
    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thank You,

    Judd Sandstrom

  2. #2
    galimi
    Guest

    RE: Formatting information copied and pasted from the WEB to excel

    Judd,

    The cells may be formatted as text. Try formatting them as General.

    http://HelpExcel.com

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Formatting information copied and pasted from the WEB to excel

    Format the cells as General.

    Copy a blank cell then select your range of data and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    jbsand1001
    Guest

    Re: Formatting information copied and pasted from the WEB to excel

    Thank you but I think the problem is that the data I am trying to copy and
    paste is from a website and it maybe in HTML format?

    I tried both suggestions but nothing. Anything else?

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Formatting information copied and pasted from the WEB to excel

    Probably has some non-breaking spaces(char 160) and other junk.

    Run David McRitchie's Trimall macro on it.

    Or prior to the above.......

    Download Chip Pearson's CELLVIEW add-in from

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

    Load through Tools>Add-ins.

    Select the data and Chip's add-in will show you what the characters are in the
    cells.

    Gord

  6. #6
    jbsand1001
    Guest

    Re: Formatting information copied and pasted from the WEB to excel

    Gord,

    Excellent!!!!!!! Thanks for your suggestions.

    Judd