How can I set up to chose more than 1 item from a dropdown list (.

  1. #1
    microchick
    Guest

    How can I set up to chose more than 1 item from a dropdown list (.

    I am trying to set up dropdown lists in MS Excel using the data validation
    function. Is there a way that I can set up the list so that the user is able
    to chose more than 1 choice from my list? You see this on websites often.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How can I set up to chose more than 1 item from a dropdown list(.

    Using data validation, you can select multiple items with some
    programming. There's an example here:

    Under 'Data Validation', look for 'Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List'

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3

    Re: How can I set up to chose more than 1 item from a dropdown list (.

    Maybe you can pick up something from Debra Dalgleish's sample workbook:
    http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#DataVal

    Look for:
    Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List-- Select multiple items from a
    dropdown list; an event macro stores selections in adjacent cell, or in same
    cell. DataValMultiSelect.xls 39kb

  4. #4
    microchick
    Guest

    Re: How can I set up to chose more than 1 item from a dropdown lis

    Thank you. So other than programming it in with virtual basic, there's no
    easy way to do it? I looked at the code and think it's out of my skill
    level...and it looks like a simple copying of the text won't do the job. Any
    suggestions?

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How can I set up to chose more than 1 item from a dropdown lis

    No, I don't know of any non-programming way to allow multiple selections
    from a data validation list. Perhaps you could use the same list in
    multiple columns, and allow users to select one in each column.