#VALUE error when linking to other files

  1. #1
    Jerome81 - ExcelForums.com
    Guest

    #VALUE error when linking to other files

    I have a summary sheet that pulls info from approx 10 other excel
    files.

    In one column of the summary sheet, the links perform just fine. Each
    cell in this column is the sum of an entire column in another
    workbook. When I open the summary page and choose "yes" to update
    with new information, everything works properly.

    However, in the same worksheet as this, I have another column where
    each cell is the result of a SUMIF where the data comes from another
    workbook. The odd part that I cannot understand is why when I open
    the summary sheet and update the information do all the cells in that
    column get a #VALUE error, while the other column that references the
    same workbook comes out properly?

    And the real kicker is that as soon soon as I individually open each
    referenced workbook, the #VALUE errors fill in with the correct
    information.

    What is going on here?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: #VALUE error when linking to other files

    There are some functions that don't work with closed workbooks. =sumif() is one
    of them.

    But there are workarounds.

    Saved from a previous post:

    Use a different function...

    Maybe =sum(if(...)) or =sumproduct() will work ok for you

    Maybe you'll see how you can modify your existing formula:

    {=SUM(IF('C:\New Project\[school 5.XLS]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$10="green",
    'C:\New Project\[school 5.XLS]Sheet1'!$E$1:$E$10))}

    =sumproduct(--('C:\New Project\[school 5.XLS]Sheet1'!$D$1:$D$10="green"),
    'C:\New Project\[school 5.XLS]Sheet1'!$E$1:$E$10)

    If this didn't help, post back with your existing formula.

    by the way, the =sum(if(...
    them yourself.)