sortable list

  1. #1
    Greg
    Guest

    sortable list

    Is there a way to create a sortable (Excel data sort) list that can flow or
    expand over two columns (WORD ie: bottom of col 1 continues at top of col
    2). Which Office can do both??

    TIA

    greg

  2. #2
    Macgru
    Guest

    Re: sortable list

    Użytkownik "Greg" <[email protected]> napisał w wiadomości
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a way to create a sortable (Excel data sort) list that can flow

    or
    > expand over two columns (WORD ie: bottom of col 1 continues at top of col
    > 2). Which Office can do both??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > greg

    its a way round but you can select first column, sort and than select 2nd
    and sort
    it will sort them separately
    is that what you are looking for?
    mcg

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: sortable list

    Just a side-angle on this ..

    Let's say you have a sorted list of numbers in A1:A12, say: 1,2,3,... 12

    In Sheet2, we could re-arrange this sorted list of 12 numbers to
    "overflow" in a zig-zag manner, say into 3 continuous cols of 4 cells each

    In Sheet2
    ---------
    Put in A1:
    =OFFSET(Sheet2!$A$1,ROWS($A$1:A1)-1+COLUMNS($A$1:A1)*4-4,)
    Copy A1 across 3 cols to C1, fill down to C4

    We'll get in A1:C4

    1 5 9
    2 6 10
    3 7 11
    4 8 12

    So we could use Data > Sort to sort col A in Sheet1,
    and display the results as desired in Sheet2

    And if we wanted it to display in Sheet2 in a 4 col x 3 rows grid instead of
    the above 3 col x 4 rows grid, just amend the formula in A1 to:
    =OFFSET(Sheet2!$A$1,ROWS($A$1:A1)-1+COLUMNS($A$1:A1)*3-3,)
    and copy A1 across 4 cols to D1, fill down to D3

    This will return:

    1 4 7 10
    2 5 8 11
    3 6 9 12