Shared Workbook Grows Rapidly in Size

  1. #1
    Burgerfield
    Guest

    Shared Workbook Grows Rapidly in Size

    I have a shared workbook in Excel, with no track changes set, but which grows
    rapidly in size.
    The workbook is on a network drive and accessed by over 50 people.
    All clients are Windows 2k.
    The 'who has this workbook open now' has many entries, sometimes duplicated.
    I understand this can be caused by network problems, although none are
    reported.
    Unsharing the workbook reduces the size back to near normal for data content.
    Other shared workbooks do not have the same issue, although they are
    admittedly accessed by a significantly smaller number of people.

  2. #2
    Amedee Van Gasse
    Guest

    Re: Shared Workbook Grows Rapidly in Size

    Burgerfield shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel:

    > I have a shared workbook in Excel, with no track changes set, but
    > which grows rapidly in size.
    > The workbook is on a network drive and accessed by over 50 people.
    > All clients are Windows 2k.
    > The 'who has this workbook open now' has many entries, sometimes
    > duplicated. I understand this can be caused by network problems,
    > although none are reported.
    > Unsharing the workbook reduces the size back to near normal for data
    > content. Other shared workbooks do not have the same issue, although
    > they are admittedly accessed by a significantly smaller number of
    > people.

    Your observation is correct, as is your assumption about the relation
    between file size and number of people accessing the file.

    --
    Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
    If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    How to Report Bugs Effectively
    Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
    answer.
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
    o-answers.html

  3. #3
    Burgerfield

    "Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:

    > Burgerfield shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel:
    >
    > > I have a shared workbook in Excel, with no track changes set, but
    > > which grows rapidly in size.
    > > The workbook is on a network drive and accessed by over 50 people.
    > > All clients are Windows 2k.
    > > The 'who has this workbook open now' has many entries, sometimes
    > > duplicated. I understand this can be caused by network problems,
    > > although none are reported.
    > > Unsharing the workbook reduces the size back to near normal for data
    > > content. Other shared workbooks do not have the same issue, although
    > > they are admittedly accessed by a significantly smaller number of
    > > people.

    > Your observation is correct, as is your assumption about the relation
    > between file size and number of people accessing the file.
    >
    > --
    > Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
    > If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
    >
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    > How to Report Bugs Effectively
    > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
    > Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
    > answer.
    > http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-with-yes-or-n
    > o-answers.html

    Amedee

    Thanks for your reply.

    However many people access the file, when it is not open by anyone, (with
    the option not to keep history), the file, on Save, should surely return to a
    size which roughly reflects the data content. If this is not the case
    Microsoft should recommend a maximum number.

    Perhaps I have misunderstood the 'Don't keep history' option. I would have
    expected the workbook to merge on Save.

    Although there are articles relating to the "Who has this Workbook Open Now'
    option suggesting that duplicated names/old dates may relate to network
    issues, there is no suggestion that this fault may fail to clear the history
    data and cause issues with file growth. However, this would be my guess.

  4. #4
    Amedee Van Gasse
    Guest

    Re: Shared Workbook Grows Rapidly in Size

    Burgerfield shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel:

    > "Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:
    >
    > > Burgerfield shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel:
    > >
    > > > I have a shared workbook in Excel, with no track changes set, but
    > > > which grows rapidly in size.
    > > > The workbook is on a network drive and accessed by over 50
    > > > people. All clients are Windows 2k.
    > > > The 'who has this workbook open now' has many entries, sometimes
    > > > duplicated. I understand this can be caused by network problems,
    > > > although none are reported.
    > > > Unsharing the workbook reduces the size back to near normal for
    > > > data content. Other shared workbooks do not have the same issue,
    > > > although they are admittedly accessed by a significantly smaller
    > > > number of people.

    > > Your observation is correct, as is your assumption about the
    > > relation between file size and number of people accessing the file.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
    > > If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
    > >
    > > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    > > How to Report Bugs Effectively
    > > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
    > > Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as
    > > the answer.
    > > http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...ions-with-yes-
    > > or-n o-answers.html
    > >

    > Amedee
    >
    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > However many people access the file, when it is not open by anyone,
    > (with the option not to keep history), the file, on Save, should
    > surely return to a size which roughly reflects the data content.

    No, it should not.
    It will only return to a reasonable size when you disable the option to
    share the workbook.

    > If this is not the case Microsoft should recommend a maximum number.

    I agree, but in Microsoftland the word "should" has a plethora of
    interpretations.