sort column in date order dd/mm/yy

  1. #1

    sort column in date order dd/mm/yy

    In Excell I am trying to sort a column of dates dd/mm/yy, but it only seems
    to sort on the first 2 digits. I have formatted the cells to date, but it
    still does not seem to work

    Can you help?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    India
    Posts
    1,066
    Visual format does not affect the sort order. In excel dates are, in reality, numbers. If the dates you have entered are treated by excel as text, then you might have problems. Change the format of these cells to number and you should see numbers and not date. This should answer your query.

    - Mangesh

  3. #3

    Re: sort column in date order dd/mm/yy

    Are you sure that they're dates?

    If you format those cells as: mmmm dd, yyyy
    do they change to a long date format?

    If they stay like dd/mm/yy, then your values aren't really dates--they're text
    masquerading as dates.

    If you select that columns of false dates, you can convert them to real dates by
    using:

    Data|text to columns
    choose dmy as the format for that field.

  4. #4
    jen
    Guest

    Re: sort column in date order dd/mm/yy

    Very useful info as I imported data from Access, it only gives me date in
    text masquerading. Although I know how to change it under format cell or
    format painter but only one cell each time which was a big pain for me,
    thanks a lot

    Jennifer

  5. #5

    Re: sort column in date order dd/mm/yy

    If the "dates" are in one column, did you try the data|text to columns
    technique?

    If the dates are all over the place, maybe you can just
    select your cells
    edit|replace
    what: / (slash)
    with: / (slash)