Select word after **

  1. #1
    et
    Guest

    Select word after **

    Hi all,

    Anyone can help to tell me how to select words from a cell that located
    after a **.

    For example a have a setence in a cell that contains "I need help ** anyone
    can do me a favor?", I want to draw the words "anyone can do me a favor?".

    I know there must be a formula can do it, but I don't know how.

    Thankyou
    ET

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Select word after **

    Hi

    if these are all in a column and you don't have any other * in this column
    then the way i would approach it is ...
    insert about 5 blank columns to the right of your column with the **

    copy this column to the first blank column you inserted and then choose the
    column
    choose
    data / text to columns
    delimited
    untick tab, tick other and type a *
    tick, treat consecutive delimiters as one
    click FINISH
    now you can delete the column(s) you don't need

    --
    Cheers
    JulieD
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Select word after **

    =MID(A1,FIND("**",A1,1)+2,99)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: Select word after **

    ET

    to build on a previous response, a slight variation:

    =MID(A1,FIND("**",A1)+2,LEN(A1)-FIND("**",A1)+2)

    It then doesn't matter how long the original field was.

    Regards

    Trevor

  5. #5

    Smile Phrase after and word after

    It sounds like you are asking for the remaining portion of the text. This eliminates spaces ahead of the phrase in cell a1:
    =TRIM(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("**",A1)-1))

    To capture the actual word after the ** do this:
    =LEFT(TRIM(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("**",A1)-1)),FIND(" ",TRIM(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("**",A1)-1))))