Value Not Available Error in Vlookup

  1. #1
    thefeokas
    Guest

    Value Not Available Error in Vlookup

    I'm using the vlookup function to get a number back from a table. I've
    created the vlookup properly but keep getting the #N/A with the message -
    "Value Not Available Error". The problem is that the value is available.
    I've copied the vlookup formula into a number of cells - all come back #N/A.
    The puzzle is, I can get the formula to work if I retype the value being
    looked up in the table. I've compared formats; I've made sure the table is
    in alphabetical order; I can't see any difference from the value being looked
    up with the value in the table - they are even the same font.
    Any ideas? The table is copied into the worksheet from another workbook.
    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Value Not Available Error in Vlookup

    Hi

    when you retype the value being lookup it tends to suggest a problem along
    the lines of:
    - calculation set to manual - tools / options / calculation -check that it
    is set to automatic
    - leading or trailing spaces in this value in the lookup value - type in
    another cell =LEN(A1) where A1 is the cell reference of your lookup value to
    find out how many characters excel sees the cell as having as compared to
    how many you think it has
    - numbers that aren't really numbers if you're looking up numbers - type in
    another cell =ISNUMBER(A1) to test that what you think is a number is
    acutally a number
    -omitting the 4th parameter (0 or FALSE) for an exact match - although this
    would normally raise wrong answers rather than an #NA error

    hope this helps
    --
    Cheers
    JulieD
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    thefeokas
    Guest

    Re: Value Not Available Error in Vlookup

    That did it! I found that there were spaces in the lookup table at the end of
    the values. I used Replace... to remove the trailing spaces.
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Value Not Available Error in Vlookup

    you're welcome and thanks for the feedback