Count how many times the same word appears in column

  1. #1
    Alexa
    Guest

    Count how many times the same word appears in column

    Hello,

    I have a long list of about 50,000 words in column A. Some of these
    words are the same.

    I want to know the exact number of times each word appears in the A
    column.

    And I want to sort these words based on how many times they appear in
    the A column.

    How can I do that?

    Alexa

  2. #2
    º¼ÖÝÈË
    Guest

    Re: Count how many times the same word appears in column

    =countif(A:A,B1),if B1= you word

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Count how many times the same word appears in column

    In B1, add =COUNTIF($A:$A,A1)
    Copy down

    Then sort by column B

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Count how many times the same word appears in column

    Hi Bob,

    Excel displays an error when I type in the formula. What should I do?

    Alexa

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Count how many times the same word appears in column

    Hi Alexa,

    The formula works okay for me.

    Give us some details of the way you added it, the error and your data.

    RP