unable to read file with "xlw" extension

  1. #1
    namsilat
    Guest

    unable to read file with "xlw" extension

    I have an old but very important file with a "xlw" extension which I
    cannot open with Excel. When I tried to open it, some error message
    came up indicating the file cannot be accessed, as though the file is
    not there. Any idea?

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: unable to read file with "xlw" extension

    Sounds like a workspace file, which contains information about
    workbooks, but not the workbooks themselves. So the workbook files may
    not be able to be accessed... You'll need to find the workbook files.

    From XL Help ("Save a group of workbooks in a customized workspace")

    > You can open a group of workbooks in one step by creating a workspace
    > file. A workspace file saves information about all open workbooks,
    > such as their locations, window sizes, and screen positions. When you
    > open a workspace file by using the Open command (File menu),
    > Microsoft Excel opens each workbook saved in the workspace. The
    > workspace file does not contain the workbooks themselves, and you
    > must continue to save changes you make to the individual workbooks.

    IIRC, *very* old (e.g., XL4) workspaces saved worksheets in the .xlw
    file, but more recent versions should be able to open those.

  3. #3
    namsilat
    Guest

    Re: unable to read file with "xlw" extension

    that may explain it... from the property the file was created in 1999.
    It also says "compressed". The error I received happened when I tried
    to open it using Eexcel on XP machine. I tried opening it on another
    machine running Windows 98 SE with Excel 97, and another file name
    poped up, except I have no idea what this other file is.

  4. #4
    Art Farrell
    Guest

    Re: unable to read file with "xlw" extension

    Hi,

    It's probably an Excel workbook created with Excel 4.0. This used the older
    macro language and the worksheets and macro sheets were all tabs in the same
    workbook, similar to what the .xls files are now except the macros are in
    the VBE. I have about 20 old .XLW files and I can open them with W98 and
    Excel 2000. If I can help you to open the file you can send it to me.

    CHORDially,
    Art Farrell

    news:[email protected]...