REF errors when opening excel in xp. works fine when opening wor.

  1. #1
    br
    Guest

    REF errors when opening excel in xp. works fine when opening wor.

    I'm working on a spreadsheet where I receive REF errors when opening it on a
    Windows XP machine. On a Windows 2000 machince it opens properly. I can't
    seem to figure it out.

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: REF errors when opening excel in xp. works fine when opening wor.

    Couple of potential causes gleaned from Help.

    Using a link to a program that is not running

    Start the program.

    Linking to a Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) topic such as "system" that is not
    available

    Make sure that you're using the correct DDE topic.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3

    Re: REF errors when opening excel in xp. works fine when opening wor.

    xl2002+ likes to recalculate any workbooks that were created in previous
    versions. In earlier versions of excel, if you answer No to the update links
    prompt, the existing values are kept. In xl2002+, you get those errors.

    Jim Rech posted a registry tweak:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...TNGP11.phx.gbl

    Maybe it'll work for you.

  4. #4

    Re: REF errors when opening excel in xp. works fine when opening wor.

    This was supposed to be a followup to the OP.

  5. #5
    GoodenowKZC
    Guest

    Re: REF errors when opening excel in xp. works fine when opening

    I've noticed this problem as well. Specifically, I've noticed that if I'm
    referencing a workbook that has 0 values, the program will return #REF! for
    only those cells that have zero values in the closed workbook. Any non-zero
    values will be lost. Have you experienced this problem?

  6. #6

    Re: REF errors when opening excel in xp. works fine when opening

    No. But I don't use many workbooks that are linked.

  7. #7
    oduran
    Guest

    Re: REF errors when opening excel in xp. works fine when opening

    I experience the problem. How did you solve it?