Pasting html table to Excel reformats certain values

  1. #1

    Pasting html table to Excel reformats certain values

    Hi!

    When I paste an html table into Excel some cells are automatically
    formatted to a different datatype.

    My html table contains identifiers such as "6632/04" which I want to
    store as text. Excel assumes that data like this is some sort of date
    and displays "apr-32" instead when I paste the table. If I try to apply
    the text format to the column, Excel converts the values to some type
    of integer "1728420" which looks like it could be the integer value of
    the date. It isn't possible to get the original value back!

    How do I turn off Excels automatic formatting? The same behavior
    appears in Excel 2003 and 2000.

    Kind Regards,

    Pete

  2. #2

    Re: Pasting html table to Excel reformats certain values

    If there are only a few cells in your table, you could format the cell as text
    and the paste into formula bar.

    If there are lots, maybe you could paste into a Notepad file, then save that
    file as *.txt. Then use excel to open the .txt file. You'll see the text
    import wizard and you can choose to import that field as text.