Help with Highlighting all duplicates in a row

  1. #1
    Jimv
    Guest

    Help with Highlighting all duplicates in a row

    I am trying to highlight duplicates in a row and am using the explanation:

    Highlighting Duplicate Entries

    Our first task is to highlight the cells in Range1 that are duplicates. We
    use Excel's Conditional
    Formatting tool to accomplish this. First, highlight the entire Range1.
    Then, select the
    Conditional Formatting tool from the Format menu: Format->Conditional
    Formatting.
    Change the "Cell Value Is" option to "Formula Is" and enter the following
    formula in the
    formula text box:

    =IF(COUNTIF(Range1, A5)>1,TRUE,FALSE)

    Where A5 is the first cell in Range1. Then, click the Format button and
    select the font or
    color you want your cell formatted with. Finally, click OK. Duplicate
    entries in Range1 will be
    formatted as you selected. For example, if "Able" occurs twice in Range1,
    both
    occurrences of "Able" will appear highlighted.

    I am changing "A5" to the first cell in the row and still nothing happens.
    what am I doing wrong?

    thanks

    Jim

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help with Highlighting all duplicates in a row

    Select the range as stated, and assuming that we are highlighting duplicates
    in row 1 starting at a1, just use the formula

    =COUNTIF($1:$1,A1)>1

    this shows all the duplicates, first and subsequent times.

    If you just want to show subsequent times, use

    =COUNTIF($A1:A1,A1)>1

    I would use the latter

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jimv
    Guest

    Re: Help with Highlighting all duplicates in a row

    Bob,

    What if I am working in a colum?

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help with Highlighting all duplicates in a row

    Then use

    =COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)>1

  5. #5
    Jimv
    Guest

    Re: Help with Highlighting all duplicates in a row

    Thanks Bob, that worked!