Closed Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

multiplication problem

  1. #1
    FM
    Guest

    multiplication problem

    I recent found a problem and need help to solve.

    If I enter the the data in the following columns, using the example entries
    I get different answers:

    M1 M2 M3
    24 2.18 =M1*M2 results in 52.22

    24 2.18 =24*2.18 results in 52.32

    The 52.32 is the correct answer needed.

    Thanks
    FM

  2. #2
    Neil
    Guest

    RE: multiplication problem

    What version of Excel are you running?

    I tried this on Excel 2002 with SP3, and everything worked fine!

    Neil
    www.nwarwick.co.uk

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: multiplication problem

    Did you enter these by hand, or are they the result of a formula?

    If the latter, try increasing the number of decimal points. You'll find
    that either M1 or M2 are slightly less than their displayed values, but
    they are rounded to 0 or 2 decimal places by the display engine. As a
    workaround, try enclosing the M2 function in a ROUND(<function>,2)
    formula, for example.

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: multiplication problem

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:05:11 -0700, "FM" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I recent found a problem and need help to solve.
    >
    >If I enter the the data in the following columns, using the example entries
    >I get different answers:
    >
    >M1 M2 M3
    >24 2.18 =M1*M2 results in 52.22
    >
    >24 2.18 =24*2.18 results in 52.32
    >
    >The 52.32 is the correct answer needed.
    >
    >Thanks
    >FM

    It is likely that the contents of M1 and/or M2 is not exactly 24 and 2.18
    respectively, but that the display is rounded to those values.

    When you are obtaining the above, what do the following formulas give for
    results?

    1. =M1=24
    2. =M2=2.18

    What do M1 and M2 look like if you Format/Cells/Number Decimal Places:15

    --ron

  5. #5
    FM
    Guest

    Re: multiplication problem

    Maybe I didn't explain the situation correctly, here goes:

    First example entry:
    Cell location is M (column) : 1 (row 1) Manually input 24
    Cell location is M (column): 2 (row 2) Manually input 2.18
    Cell location is M (column): 3 (row 3) Manually input formula: =24*2.18
    (result = 52.32)

    Second example entry:
    Cell location is M (column) : 1 (row 1) Manually input 24
    Cell location is M (column): 2 (row 2) Manually input 2.18
    Cell location is M (column): 3 (row 3) Manually input formula: =M1*M2
    (result = 52.22)

    In the either example entry I get the same result no matter how many decimal
    points I enter. If there is a round off functioning here I'm at a loss as to
    how it would come up with a smaller number?

    I have windows 98se with Office 2000 premium addition. If I enter the
    formula via the cell copy method or input the formula: =(M1*M2) in brackets
    the result is the same. In looking at previous work It would appear that
    this is a recent problem.
    Thanks
    FM

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: multiplication problem

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:13:29 -0700, "FM" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Maybe I didn't explain the situation correctly, here goes:
    >
    >First example entry:
    >Cell location is M (column) : 1 (row 1) Manually input 24
    >Cell location is M (column): 2 (row 2) Manually input 2.18
    >Cell location is M (column): 3 (row 3) Manually input formula: =24*2.18
    >(result = 52.32)
    >
    >Second example entry:
    >Cell location is M (column) : 1 (row 1) Manually input 24
    >Cell location is M (column): 2 (row 2) Manually input 2.18
    >Cell location is M (column): 3 (row 3) Manually input formula: =M1*M2
    >(result = 52.22)
    >
    >In the either example entry I get the same result no matter how many decimal
    >points I enter. If there is a round off functioning here I'm at a loss as to
    >how it would come up with a smaller number?
    >
    >I have windows 98se with Office 2000 premium addition. If I enter the
    >formula via the cell copy method or input the formula: =(M1*M2) in brackets
    >the result is the same. In looking at previous work It would appear that
    >this is a recent problem.
    >Thanks
    >FM

    I cannot reproduce the results you get.

    Is it on a particular worksheet/workbook?
    Does it happen with a brand new workbook?
    --ron

  7. #7
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: multiplication problem

    If you want to zip the file and send it to me from your posting address
    I'd be interested in taking a look. AFAIK, what you're describing can't
    happen...

  8. #8
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: multiplication problem

    I join the chorus that cannot reproduce (tried 2 versions), and does not
    believe that this can happen exactly as I understand you to have described.

    Works correctly in Office 2000 under Win 2000 Professional
    Works correctly in Office XP under Win Me

    If the wrong answer is not reflective of formulas in M1:M2, perhaps the
    M3 formula pre-existed and M1:M2 was changed with
    Tools|Options|Calculation set to Manual?

    Jerry

  9. #9
    FM
    Guest

    Re: multiplication problem

    Dear Jerry,

    I looked at the Tools, Options and the Calculations are set at automatic.

    I decided that It could be a percentage usage so tried it again in the
    following:
    First Manual input----

    Starting Balance $16,207.33
    A B C D
    E F G
    Days Payment 4.90% 365 Interest
    Principal Balance
    24 $485.99 $794.16 $2.18 $52.32
    $433.67 $15,773.66
    input
    24 $485.99 16207.33x4.9% 794.16/365 2.18*24
    485.99-52.32 16207.33-433.67

    Second Formual input---

    ROW A B C D
    E F G
    10 Days Payment 4.9% 365 Interest
    Principal 16207.33
    11 24 $485.99 $794.16 $2.18 $52.22
    $433.77 $15,773.56

    input
    11 24 $485.99 G10*C10 C11/D10 A11*D11
    B11-E11 G10-F11

    The problem is E11. Even if you round down I don't think you can get this
    number. I 've tried it in new books and get the same result. Either the
    provram is corrupted or I've somehow set something inadvertently wrong?

    Thanks to all for looking at the problem.

    Fm

  10. #10
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: multiplication problem

    As all respondants previously suggested, the issue is the difference
    between the contents of D11 (2.17577854794521) and a formatted display
    (2.18) that only shows part of what is in the cell.

    52.32 =24*2.18
    52.22 =24*2.17577854794521

    You can get 52.32 by =A11*ROUND(D11,2) or by going to
    Tools|Options|Calculation and checking "Precision as displayed". The
    second option applies to all calculations, and may have unwanted side
    effects.

    Jerry

  11. #11
    FM
    Guest

    Re: multiplication problem

    Jerry,
    Thank you and all the respondants. Your help was much appreciated and I'm
    back on track again.

    Sincerely,
    FM

    "Jerry W. Lewis" <post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com> wrote in message
    > As all respondants previously suggested, the issue is the difference
    > between the contents of D11 (2.17577854794521) and a formatted display
    > (2.18) that only shows part of what is in the cell.
    >
    > 52.32 =24*2.18
    > 52.22 =24*2.17577854794521
    >
    > You can get 52.32 by =A11*ROUND(D11,2) or by going to
    > Tools|Options|Calculation and checking "Precision as displayed". The
    > second option applies to all calculations, and may have unwanted side
    > effects.
    >
    > Jerry

Closed Thread