What is the step-by-step procedure for making a data list?

  1. #1
    Bobgolfs56
    Guest

    What is the step-by-step procedure for making a data list?

    I've read and re-read how to do datalists, but I cannot get the hang of how
    to make one and apply it.

    I need a simple tutorial in how to make one, from A to Z.

    I want to call in items that have cost associated with them instead of
    typing them each and every time. Any GOOD help will be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: What is the step-by-step procedure for making a data list?

    Try Debra's nice coverage on VLOOKUP at her:

    Rgds
    Max
    xl 97
    ---
    GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
    xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
    ----
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    An alternative way of searching for data in a table is to use the "index" function.

    For example, if your data table has the following info:

    cell A1 = John
    cell A2 = Doe
    Cell A3 = 24
    Cell B1 = Jane
    Cell B2 = Doe
    Cell B3 = 23
    Cell C1 = Billy
    Cell C2 = Bob
    Cell C3 = 67

    And you want to look up the data for "billy", you would type the following:

    =index($A$1:$C$3, match("billy",$A$1:$A$3,0),2)
    result = "Bob"

    =index($A$1:$C$3, match("billy",$A$1:$A$3,0),3)
    Result = 67

    Note that the data you are searching for must be in the first column of the table you select (a1:c1 in this example). Also, if there are duplicate entries of the data you are searching for, it will pull the information for the first item.