format columns to collapse and expand in excel

  1. #1
    bob sacco
    Guest

    format columns to collapse and expand in excel

    I already did this in an old excel worksheet but I CAN'T remember HOW I DID IT.

    The result is a (plus) + and a (minus) - sign at the top of the worksheet in
    row 1 at the location where you want your selected columns to either expand
    or collapse.

    I need to once again implement this handy formatting trick but for the life
    of me remember how I did it....so frustrating!

    Anyone out ther know how to do this?

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: format columns to collapse and expand in excel

    Move your cursor to the top of the column you wish to AutoFormat.........say
    it's column C, then ease the cursot to the right to the separation between
    Column C and column D and it will change shape at that point.........hold it
    there and double-left-click and it will auto-size to the data in column C.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    galimi
    Guest

    RE: format columns to collapse and expand in excel

    Bob,

    This feature is located under the Data menu, Group and Outline, Group and
    select Rows or Columns. You should highlight the rows or columns that you
    wish to group prior to clicking on that feature.

    http://HelpExcel.com

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: format columns to collapse and expand in excel

    Keyboard shortcut,
    To Group:

    Select the entire Column A:C,
    <Shift> <ALt> <RightArrow>

    Select Column E:G
    Do the same thing

    NOTE - You *must* leave a row or column between groups,
    Otherwise XL joins them together as a single Group.

    To Ungroup:
    Select Columns or Rows:
    <Shift> <ALt> <LeftArrow>
    --

    HTH,

    RD

  5. #5
    Tricia S.
    Guest

    RE: format columns to collapse and expand in excel

    How do you make sub-groups within groups, similar to a Windows Folder
    structure?

    - Grand Parent 1
    - Parent 1
    Child 1
    Child 2
    - Parent 2
    Child 3
    Child 4
    - Grand Parent 2
    - Parent 3
    Child 1
    Child 4
    - Parent 4
    Child 5

    I want to be able to collapse or expand Parents and Grand parents individual
    of each other (Obviously, to see a parent, I'd need to have the Grand Parent
    expanded). Exactly like the Folders behave in Windows Explorer

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: format columns to collapse and expand in excel

    Is this what you're looking for:

    In a new test sheet,
    Using the row headers,
    Select rows 10, 11, 12,
    Then <Shift> <Alt> <RightArrow>

    Select rows 14, 15, 16,
    Then, again <Shift> <Alt> <RightArrow>

    Now select rows 9 to 17,
    And, again <Shift> <Alt> <RightArrow>

    Repeat the above, using rows
    20, 21, 22,
    24, 25, 26,
    19 to 27,

    Finally, select rows 8 to 28, and group them.

    For this first test, you should use the rows exactly as I mentioned them.
    This is because you *cannot* use adjacent rows when creating groups in the
    *same level*.
    XL requires a "total" (title) row between groups within the same level, or
    it automatically *joins* them into one.

    You can now expand or collapse the groups by either clicking on the plus and
    minus signs, or clicking on the level numbers at the top.

    You can do exactly the same grouping using columns also.

    And of course, the keyboard shortcut to ungroup, is to use the Left Arrow in
    place of the Right Arrow.

    This link should give you a lot more insight into the finer points of
    grouping:

    http://tinyurl.com/6uc2p
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Tricia S.
    Guest

    Re: format columns to collapse and expand in excel

    Yes, this is what I am looking for. Thanks. I do have one more question, tho.

    It appears as though the levels of grouping must be consistent all the way
    down the column. Is there a way to have such a structure (notice the
    different grouping levels)?

    Red Basket
    Apple
    Green
    Red
    Banana
    Orange
    Tangerine
    Tangelo
    Navel
    Seedless

    Blue Basket
    Broccoli
    Peas
    Carrots
    Baby
    Sliced
    Shredded
    Finely
    Coarse
    Corn

  8. #8
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: format columns to collapse and expand in excel

    Is this what you mean?

    Select row 5,
    <Shift> <Alt> <RightArrow>

    Select rows 4 and 5,