Excel Adding years or months to a date

  1. #1
    Joan
    Guest

    Excel Adding years or months to a date

    I want to be able to add months or years to a date.

    For example 25/4/05 + 9 months
    25/4/05 + 15 years.

    I am using Excel 2000.

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    RE: Excel Adding years or months to a date

    The standard way is:

    =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+9,DAY(A1))

    to add 9 months. For 15 years try:

    =DATE(YEAR(A1)+15,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1))

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Excel Adding years or months to a date

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 06:54:03 -0700, "Joan" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I want to be able to add months or years to a date.
    >
    >For example 25/4/05 + 9 months
    >25/4/05 + 15 years.
    >
    >I am using Excel 2000.

    One of the issues in adding years or months (as opposed to days or weeks) is
    that all months and all years do not have the same number of days.

    So you are always dealing with the issue of 31 Jan + 1 month = ???

    One convention is to not allow a rollover to the subsequent month -- so the
    answer to the above would be 28 Feb or 29 Feb; but not 3 Mar.

    If that is what you want, then the EDATE function would work.

    =EDATE(start_date,months)

    and just equate a year to 12 months.

    If the EDATE function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install
    and load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.

    On the Tools menu, click Add-Ins.
    In the Add-Ins available list, select the Analysis ToolPak box, and then click
    OK.
    If necessary, follow the instructions in the setup program.

    If you don't want to add the ATP, you can mimic it in a complex worksheet
    function. Post back if that is what you would prefer.

    --ron