paste over a filtered range

  1. #1
    freddie2711
    Guest

    paste over a filtered range

    I have a spreadsheet with 40000 records, I have filtered down to 1000 records
    that have one coloumn of incorrect information that needs replacing, how do I
    paste the new data over the old?? What keeps happening is the new data
    pastes over the first 1000 records, not only the filtered recorsds

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: paste over a filtered range

    freddie

    When you have your filter in place and the 1000 records are showing, hit
    F5>Special>Visible cell only and OK.

    Now paste your replacement data.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3

    Re: paste over a filtered range

    That caused a problem when I did this (xl2003).

    I put some test data in A1:I25
    I filtered to see only row 3 and row 7.

    Then I put some more test data in A30:I31 and copied it.

    I selected Rows 4:7 and did the edit|goto special|visible cells only.

    I pasted into that selection.

    When I showed all my data, I saw my paste had affected both rows 3 and 4 and
    rows 7 and 8.

  4. #4

    Re: paste over a filtered range

    Can you sort that range to put all the data together, then paste into that
    contiguous area?

    I like to put 1, 2, 3, ... down a helper column.

    Then I can sort by whatever I want. Do what I need to do and then sort by that
    helper column to put things back in the original order.

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: paste over a filtered range

    When you paste, it will paste into a contiguous range, not the visible
    cells in the filtered range.

    Perhaps you could mark the visible rows, by putting an X in an adjacent
    column. Then, sort by the marked column, and paste into the grouped cells.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  6. #6
    freddie2711
    Guest

    Re: paste over a filtered range

    Thanks for the quick response, unfortunatley it didn't work.... I get the
    error message "The information cannot be pasted because the Copy area and the
    Paste area are not the same size and shape..."

    Any suggestions??

  7. #7
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: paste over a filtered range

    If (and only if) by any chance the data you are replacing is the same value
    for *all* your filtered rows, then do Edit / Go To Special / Visible Cells
    only, enter the replacement data in the first selected cell and then use
    CTRL+ENTER to enter the data, at which point it will be propogated to all
    the visible cell selected.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: paste over a filtered range

    Dave and Debra are correct.

    My method doesn't work on non-contiguous cells.

    Back to tester's school<g>

    Gord

  9. #9
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: paste over a filtered range

    Hi Freddie

    not sure how to achive this, but are you pasting the SAME VALUE over all the
    1000 records (ie updating "Dept" to "Department"), if so you can use the
    visible cells only option with control & enter

    .... try on a copy of your workbook

    filter the data and select the column you want to replace, choose edit /
    goto / special - visible cells, ok
    now without clicking anywhere type the new value and press CONTROL & ENTER
    --
    Cheers
    JulieD