Using either 'Conditional Formatting or VB' to color specific Cells

  1. #1

    Using either 'Conditional Formatting or VB' to color specific Cells

    All,
    I'm new to using macro's within Excel, please forgive my ignorance in
    advance! heh
    Does anyone know the best way to color cells within a worksheet based
    on data in other rows within the same worksheet? I've used Conditional
    Formatting but it only lets me use (3) colors. I need to use about 10
    or so.
    Basically I have data in columns A - P, in columns AI:AJ I have data
    that I want to show as a specific color in rows A - P if it exists.
    Can someone give me an example that I can use and modify to do this
    task?

    Thanks
    -J

  2. #2
    Charley Kyd
    Guest

    Re: Using either 'Conditional Formatting or VB' to color specific Cells

    I assume that you want an easy way to visually identify certain conditions
    in your spreadsheet. A macro certainly could do this. But you would need to
    write and maintain the macro, which will take a lot of time.

    Instead, here are two other approaches that you might consider:

    First, define a condition using a CHOOSE function linked to a cell in your
    spreadsheet. When you enter 1 in a cell, cells that match that condition
    turn red; when you enter 2, those cells turn red, and so on.

    Second, instead, insert a column to the left of each column in your data
    range. Use a formula to return, say, "A" for the first condition, "B" for
    the second condition, and so on. That way, you can look for the A's and B's
    that mark the values you need.

    Regards,

    Charley Kyd
    ExcelUser.com

    Rather than changing the formats,

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Using either 'Conditional Formatting or VB' to color specific Cells

    For a macro solution you can probably use a Change Event
    Macro -- meaning you make a manual change to the cell,
    not a change based on a formula.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm#case
    installed by right-click on worksheet tab, view code, plop your coding in.

    For a solution that works like to regular conditional formatting
    you can use this addin,
    xtended Conditional Formatter «Excel addin«, Bob Phillips & Frank Kabel,
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html
    addin that makes it possible to enter up to 50 conditions with the same entry type panels as builtin Conditional Formatting. Note
    this is Beta software (testing not production). (posted 2004-11-07)
    http://google.com/groups?threadm=%23...TNGP14.phx.gbl
    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    Chennai, India

    using CHOOSE function to colour cells

    Could you please give an example how to use the CHOOSE function for colouring cells. I'm new.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charley Kyd