I need help with a formula calculating time

  1. #1
    Mark
    Guest

    I need help with a formula calculating time

    I have a simple spreadsheet calculating the hours worked by a person, In the
    columns i have start time, end time and hours worked. The columns are
    formatted into hh:mm. The hours worked are calculated by subtracting end
    time from start time, based on 24hour clock. This works fine if the hours are
    worked on the same day, but if the person starts at 18:00 and finishes at
    02:00 the subtraction doesnt work.

    If however i change the formatting of the cells to dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm this
    will work as the date helps. But i feel this would be too much info to enter
    for each person if i have over 100 people on the spreadsheet.

    Is there an easier way around this either by changing the original formula
    or maybe by entering the date once on a sperate cell and only entering the
    times in the rows for each person.

    Thanx
    Mark

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: I need help with a formula calculating time

    Hi Marx,

    =IF(B1>A1,B1-A1,B1+1-A1)

    --

    Kind Regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Franz
    Guest

    Re: I need help with a formula calculating time

    "Mark" <[email protected]>ha scritto nel messaggio
    [email protected]

    > I have a simple spreadsheet calculating the hours worked by a person,
    > In the columns i have start time, end time and hours worked. The
    > columns are formatted into hh:mm. The hours worked are calculated by
    > subtracting end time from start time, based on 24hour clock. This
    > works fine if the hours are worked on the same day, but if the person
    > starts at 18:00 and finishes at 02:00 the subtraction doesnt work.
    >
    > If however i change the formatting of the cells to dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm
    > this will work as the date helps. But i feel this would be too much
    > info to enter for each person if i have over 100 people on the
    > spreadsheet.
    >
    > Is there an easier way around this either by changing the original
    > formula or maybe by entering the date once on a sperate cell and only
    > entering the times in the rows for each person.
    >
    > Thanx
    > Mark

    Check out Chip Pearson's site
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/overtime.htm
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

    --
    Franz

    To reply translate from italian InVento (no capital letters)