Office 2003 documents readable by Office 2002 applications?

  1. #1
    Captain Infinity
    Guest

    Office 2003 documents readable by Office 2002 applications?

    There's the possibility that some of the Windows XP machines in my
    company will have their Office XP (2002) suites upgraded to Office 2003
    Professional. Problem is that we still have a few Win 98 machines in
    use, which will have to stay with Office 2002.

    I know that 2003 will be able to read 2002 documents with no problems,
    but will the 2003 users need to save their new documents in a special
    format for the 2002 users to read them? Of will the 2003 defaults work
    for the 2002 users with no special hoops to jump through?

    Basically I'd like for the users of the new 2003 suite to just be able
    to save their file as a straight .doc or .xls without having to worry if
    the 2002 users will be able to open them. If there is a need to save as
    a special format can 2003 be tweaked to make this format the default
    "save as" format?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    **
    Captain Infinity

  2. #2
    Rob graham
    Guest

    Re: Office 2003 documents readable by Office 2002 applications?

    "Captain Infinity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There's the possibility that some of the Windows XP machines in my
    > company will have their Office XP (2002) suites upgraded to Office 2003
    > Professional. Problem is that we still have a few Win 98 machines in
    > use, which will have to stay with Office 2002.
    >
    > I know that 2003 will be able to read 2002 documents with no problems,
    > but will the 2003 users need to save their new documents in a special
    > format for the 2002 users to read them? Of will the 2003 defaults work
    > for the 2002 users with no special hoops to jump through?
    >
    > Basically I'd like for the users of the new 2003 suite to just be able
    > to save their file as a straight .doc or .xls without having to worry if
    > the 2002 users will be able to open them. If there is a need to save as
    > a special format can 2003 be tweaked to make this format the default
    > "save as" format?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >

    > **
    > Captain Infinity

    I would imagine that there may be a few formatting 'specials' in 2003 that
    weren't there in 2002. If these 'specials' were used in a 2003 document then
    2002 won't be able to read them. However, it's more than likely that these
    specials (if there are any) are so special that most people wouldn't have
    used them, so I would not expect a problem.

    Rob Graham

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Office 2003 documents readable by Office 2002 applications?

    XL/Word02 users will have no problem reading XL/Word03 files saved as
    straight .xls/.docs.

    Their file structure is identical, as it is for XL/Word 97 and 2000, and
    for MacXL/Word98, 01, v.X and 04.

    In article <[email protected]>,