Excel displaying values incorrectly

  1. #1
    Shaun
    Guest

    Excel displaying values incorrectly

    Hi,

    I am trying to open this xml file with excel but it isnt displaying the
    number correctly:

    <?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <ps>
    <ASCII>100049052049050054000</ASCII>
    </ps>

    In the cell it displays

    1.00049E+20

    and in the formula bar it displays

    100049052049050000000

    but neither of these are correct! Can anyone help here please?

    Thanks for your advice.

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Excel displaying values incorrectly

    Hi Shaun

    Excel only shows numbers accurate to 15 digits - you have 21
    --
    Cheers
    JulieD
    news:OLdmH%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Shaun
    Guest

    Re: Excel displaying values incorrectly

    Hi Julie,

    Thanks for your reply, is there a way around this that you know of?

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Excel displaying values incorrectly

    Hi Shaun

    generally, if you don't want to calculate with the number then you
    pre-format the cell as "text" (or type an ' in front of the number) -
    however, i don't know how you can do that when opening an xml file.

    you can not use a number (as a number) in excel with more than 15 digits.

    here's a link to another discussion on the topic
    http://tinyurl.com/8vjzs