keep the formatting of the cell found using Hlookup

  1. #1
    Denny
    Guest

    keep the formatting of the cell found using Hlookup

    I have a data table set up that has wingdings2 as the format (to show a box
    with a check mark). Each check indicates that a certain activity associated
    with the row in the table is in play(a service will be performed). If a
    service will not be performed than a box without a check mark in wingdings is
    in the table. When I do a Hlookup to bring each element to a summary report
    the lookup function returns the value which then must be reformatted. How do
    I make sure the Hlookup function brings accross not only the value but the
    format as well??

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: keep the formatting of the cell found using Hlookup

    Preformat the cells with the HLOOKUP() formula as Wingding

  3. #3
    Denny
    Guest

    RE: keep the formatting of the cell found using Hlookup

    The problem is the cells in the table have two formats, one wingdings and one
    wingdings2. So though the Wingdings will come out with the correct format,
    the winddings2 does not. I was looking for a way to insert a formating
    instruction within the Hlookup that would transfer with the data. Thank you
    for the repsonse.

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: keep the formatting of the cell found using Hlookup

    Denny,

    You would need to put another row of formatting instructions into your
    table, and use another HLOOKUP formula to return those instructions. Then
    you could use the worksheet's calculate event to apply the correct
    formatting to the cell with the first HLOOKUP formula.

    Are you comfortable using macros?

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Jay
    Guest

    RE: keep the formatting of the cell found using Hlookup

    > The problem is the cells in the table have two formats, one wingdings
    > and one wingdings2. So though the Wingdings will come out with the
    > correct format, the winddings2 does not. ...

    Maybe conditional formatting meets your need:
    Format >> Conditional formatting