How do I delete duplicate rows in an excel spreadsheet?

  1. #1
    jsm
    Guest

    How do I delete duplicate rows in an excel spreadsheet?

    I have a spreadsheet of data with multiple occurrences of duplicate rows. I
    need to know how to find and remove the duplicate rows of data to prevent
    double counting.

  2. #2
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: How do I delete duplicate rows in an excel spreadsheet?

    jsm wrote:
    || I have a spreadsheet of data with multiple occurrences of duplicate
    || rows. I need to know how to find and remove the duplicate rows of
    || data to prevent double counting.

    Try here:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleti...eDuplicateRows

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  3. #3
    Alan Beban

    Gordon wrote:
    > jsm wrote:
    > || I have a spreadsheet of data with multiple occurrences of duplicate
    > || rows. I need to know how to find and remove the duplicate rows of
    > || data to prevent double counting.
    >
    > Try here:
    > http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleti...eDuplicateRows

    The cited link has code to delete rows in which a value in a single
    column is duplicated; is that what the OP meant by "duplicate rows"?

    Alan Beban

  4. #4
    Gordon

    Alan Beban wrote:
    || Gordon wrote:
    ||| Try here:
    ||| http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleti...eDuplicateRows
    || The cited link has code to delete rows in which a value in a single
    || column is duplicated; is that what the OP meant by "duplicate rows"?
    || Alan Beban

    I agree - the page is a bit ambiguous, isn't it? The illustrations would
    suggest that the macro does what the OP wants, but the text might have a
    different interpretation!
    There is a link to other "duplicate" workarounds at the bottom. I usually
    find that site very good!

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  5. #5
    Alan Beban

    Gordon wrote:
    > Alan Beban wrote:
    > || The cited link has code to delete rows in which a value in a single
    > || column is duplicated; is that what the OP meant by "duplicate rows"?
    > || Alan Beban
    >
    > I agree - the page is a bit ambiguous, isn't it? The illustrations would
    > suggest that the macro does what the OP wants, but the text might have a
    > different interpretation!
    > There is a link to other "duplicate" workarounds at the bottom. I usually
    > find that site very good!

    I think only the topic heading "Delete Duplicate Rows" is inapt. The
    description of the code makes it perfectly clear that "Entire rows are
    not compared against one another. . . ." and that *all* rows with the
    same value in the specified column, whether the remaining columns have
    duplicate values or not, are deleted. And the illustrations make this
    abundantly clear--the illustration for before running the code shows
    that there are *no*" entire rows that are duplicated, yet the
    illustration for after running the code shows that some rows have
    nevertheless been deleted.

    It may well be that the OP needs the solution provided by the linked
    code; I just don't think "duplicate rows" is an apt description for that
    case. Something like "delete rows with duplicate column values" would
    more clearly describe that case.

    Alan Beban