Excel 2003 Slowness problem in Windows XP

  1. #1
    Elton Seng Yan Thung
    Guest

    Excel 2003 Slowness problem in Windows XP

    Dear expert,
    I wish to get your help to solve the problem happened in our organization.
    A group of users who are heavy user of Excel, complaint that after computer
    upgraded to Windows XP SP1 (Pentium 4, 256MB Ram) and Office 2003 STD SP1,
    excel file tend to be slower when the computer running Winnt, office 97.
    After study and find out not all the excel file opening are slow in their
    PC. These most frequently access excel files that causing slowness are
    either too many formula, macro enable or too many sheet. File side about
    2MB-4MB. I have advised them to reduce number of sheet, formula and macro
    used in a single file. However they couldn't due to function of job.
    I had tried installed WinXP SP2 with additional (from 256MD to 512MB)
    memory, the improvement is not there. The strange thing is, I have installed
    Win2k SP4 with Office 2003 STD SP1, all files tend to open 3 time faster
    than in Windows XP. The machine is a Pentium 3 256MB Ram. The office
    installed are same package, same template and same option with other users.
    Since all Windows XP are from same clone, I suspect some thing wrong
    with the OS image. But I couldn't find any suspicious service, function on
    in these PC.
    Users are waiting for my solution but I am not totally out of mind. Thus
    if anyone has worked across the same problem, please share your experience
    with us.

    thanks a lot

  2. #2
    Michael_Corral
    Guest

    RE: Excel 2003 Slowness problem in Windows XP

    It is also quite possible that some of those files are from even more
    previous versions of Excel. One work around is to copy the data and paste,
    paste special if you can, into a new worksheet and save then delete the old.
    Repeat this step with the Macros. I know this will work, but will take
    sometime, but it will work.

    --
    Top Notch Admin

  3. #3
    Elton Seng Yan Thung
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 Slowness problem in Windows XP

    thanks, it work in one of the tested file.
    regards
    news:[email protected]...