help with formula

  1. #1
    Guest

    help with formula

    How would you write a formula that subtracts qty in cell
    c2,d3,e4,f5,g6,h7,I8 total rusults in J9

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: help with formula

    Subtracts from what?

    If you're subtracting all the other cells from C2, perhaps something
    like:

    J9: =SUM(C2,-D3,-E4,-F5,-G6,-H7,-I8)

    or, more compactly:

    J9: =-SUM(-C2,D3,E4,F5,G6,H7,I8)

  3. #3

    Re: help with formula

    Do you mean:

    =-sum(c2,d3,e4,f5,g6,h7,I8)
    or maybe:
    =c2-sum(d3,e4,f5,g6,h7,I8)

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Re: help with formula

    Dave & JE -

    Is there a benefit to using SUM() instead of +/- for non-contiguous cells?
    You both recommended

    =-sum(c2,d3,e4,f5,g6,h7,I8)

    when, out of habit, I'd have used

    =c2-d3-e4-f5-g6-h7-I8

    Just curious

  5. #5

    Re: help with formula

    Just a personal preference for me--assuming that the values in those cells is
    non-text.

    But =sum() behaves differently when there is text in one of those cells.

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: help with formula

    The advantage of using SUM is that it ignores non-numeric arguments.
    When I develop apps for clients, I find that a large number of users
    clear a cell using the spacebar. Using +/- operators give an error when
    that occurs. One could use validation, but many clients don't want to
    train themselves to use a different key.

    The disadvantage of using SUM is that function calls are generally less
    efficient than their corresponding math operations.