Character limit per cell

  1. #1
    BrianR
    Guest

    Character limit per cell

    Appologies if this has already been covered.

    Why, when the limit on number of characters per cell in Excel 97 is 32,767,
    can't I get it to display or print more than approx 1,150 characters,
    although I've wraped the text and the cell width and height are ok?

    Thanks in advance,
    Brian

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Character limit per cell

    Add a few manual (forced) line-breaks periodically throughout the text at
    relevant places,
    <Alt> <Enter>

    This will give you more displayed text.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    BrianR
    Guest

    Re: Character limit per cell

    RD
    Thanks, that's solved it.

    Regards,
    Brian

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Andibevan
    Guest

    Re: Character limit per cell

    From MY experience the solution of usint Alt&Enter still only allows there
    to be about 1040 visible characters in a cell.

    I have some time messing about with this and have not found any direct link
    but the visible cells is effected also by the column width.

    Below is a reply from Gord to demonstrate the lack of logic to this:-

    Andi

    Been playing with this and find the following, which is no help to you.

    Enter =REPT(REPT("1234567890",12)&CHAR(10),30)

    Gives 30 lines of 120 characters in the cell = 3630 chars(including the
    CHAR(10)'s

    Wrap text is set.

    Column width at 121

    Format>Row>Autofit shows 17 lines = 2040 characters

    Column width at 136

    Format>Row>Autofit shows 9 lines = 1080 characters plus whitespace.

    Manually fit row height and can see all 3630 characters.

    Not much rhyme nor reason as far as I can see.

    Gord