Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Slow response in spreadsheet

  1. #1
    Robin Cowdrey
    Guest

    Slow response in spreadsheet

    I use an Excel 2000 spreadsheet to keep track of my net worth, updating it
    daily from a stockmarket summary. Lately it has slowed horribly. I've done
    all the usual things, i.e. deleted temporary internet files, defragged,
    lowered the security setting that usually slow things up but to no avail.

    Any suggestions?

    Droopy

  2. #2

    Re: Slow response in spreadsheet

    David McRitchie has some notes on slow response at:
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm

    And did you try cleaning your temp folder?

    Windows start button|run
    %temp%

    is a quick way to get there.

  3. #3
    Robin Cowdrey
    Guest

    Re: Slow response in spreadsheet

    Hi,

    I had cleaned up my temp file, defragged, turned off my virus checker,
    Turned on Task Manager only to find every time I clicked on a cell, the CPU
    shot up to 100% usage and stayed there for ever. I cleared all formulae and
    the graph I had embedded. I then noticed that the file was huge (6.61MB) so
    I copied all the data and used Paste Special/Values to paste it to a new
    file. I reentered the formulae, formatted exactly the way the old
    spreadsheet was. It works fine and occupies a scant 29KB. There is a
    6.58MB monster lurking in that spreadsheet somewhere! I haven't deleted it
    and am, of course, curious about the monster. I checked for macros - there
    are none. If anyone has any idea what it might be or how I can find what
    the monster is, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll send it to teh Recycle
    Bin.

    Robin

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Slow response in spreadsheet

    Post back if you ever figure it out.

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Slow response in spreadsheet

    If you're copying data from a web site, you may also be copying
    invisible objects. You could try to find and delete them:

    To select all the objects on the sheet --
    Choose Edit>Go To, click Special
    Select Objects, click OK

    Or, to work with specific objects, you can add the 'Select Multiple
    Objects' tool to one of your toolbars:

    Choose Tools>Customize
    Select the Commands tab
    Select the Drawing Category
    Drag the 'Select Multiple Objects' tool onto one of your toolbars
    Click Close

    Then, click the Select Multiple Objects button, and select any or all
    objects on the worksheet.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List