Need help formatting cells

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Vinish
    Guest

    Need help formatting cells

    Hi,

    I have a cell with a date value. The format displayes is in the following
    order: 5/16/2005 4:25:32 PM

    I need to convert this so that the time does'nt show up. In other words I
    just need to see 5/16/2005.

    Is there a way I can do this in excel without using VB.

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    N Harkawat
    Guest

    Re: Need help formatting cells

    just format it using
    cells-format-date-and select the format that matches what you need

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Vinish
    Guest

    Re: Need help formatting cells

    Yeah thats exactly what I did, however int he formula bar the time still
    shows up.

    Also I need to plot a graph based on dates and due to the fact that the time
    comes in, it does'nt work out too well.

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Need help formatting cells

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 08:40:09 -0700, Vinish <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Yeah thats exactly what I did, however int he formula bar the time still
    >shows up.
    >
    >Also I need to plot a graph based on dates and due to the fact that the time
    >comes in, it does'nt work out too well.

    It sounds like what you want to do is eliminate the time from the cell, as
    opposed to having it "not show up" in the cell.

    In order to not use VB, you need to truncate the decimal portion of the
    date/time entries. If your data is in A1:An, in some unused column, enter the
    formula =INT(A1) and copy the formula down to Row n.

    Then, either use that column in your graph, or select it, and do a copy / paste
    special: values back over the original data.

    --ron

  5. #5
    Vinish
    Guest

    Re: Need help formatting cells

    That did it... thanks very much Ron.

    Cheers,
    Vinish

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Need help formatting cells

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:40:24 -0700, Vinish <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >That did it... thanks very much Ron.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Vinish

    You're welcome. Thank you for the feedback.

    --ron

  7. #7
    bj
    Guest

    Re: Need help formatting cells

    What happens when you format it general? If it doesnt change, it is text
    in this case try putting 1 in a cell copying that cell. Selecting the Date
    cell and paste special multiply.
    see if the format changes now.