File size when using background image?

  1. #1
    JDThree [MVP]
    Guest

    File size when using background image?

    I've been digging through google as well as MS's support site and the various
    newsgroups, public and private, and haven't found any suggestions for this.
    I've found the question asked, but never answered...

    Is there any way when putting a background image in an excel file to keep it
    from shooting the file size up to several meg?

    An empty XLS file that starts out as 13.5K turns out to be 3.4 MB with the
    inclusion of a 10k GIF as a background.

    Thanks for any suggestions. Just looking into an option for someone who
    wanted a background image for a template for some documents they habitually
    do. And since the watermarks are on top of the text, they didn't want a
    watermark.

    There's not a concern about printing, though we did find a handy macro to let
    it print as well if you want, but these are mostly just computer only, won't
    see paper, so printing wasn't an issue even before we found that solution.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    --
    John D [MVP - Tablet PC]

  2. #2
    matt charlton
    Guest

    RE: File size when using background image?

    Try saving the picture as a .jpg and then using it in excel

    Perhaps the gif is indexed and that is creating an anonamoly in excel

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: File size when using background image?

    John,

    With Excel 2002, I've found that the file size increases directly with the
    size of the jpg or gif. I seem to remember in an earlier Excel that it
    apparently stored the bitmap, increasing the size substantially. Not
    sure -- I might be remembering something that never happened. ):

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: File size when using background image?

    John,

    Oops. Never mind. With sheet background images, the file size does seem to
    increase with the bitmap (uncompressed) size of the image. I was thinking
    about inserted pictures, not sheet backgrounds.

    You may be able to get away with a lower-resolution image.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5