Calculate number of days in a column of dates

  1. #1
    Barbara
    Guest

    Calculate number of days in a column of dates

    Hi,

    I have a sheet with a column "Day" where the production date is introduced
    for each mouvement (5-1-04; 6-1-04, 6,2,04...) along the year (those days can
    be repeated according to the production).
    I need to calculate how many days of production there is by month and by year.
    Can somebody help me????
    Tks.
    Barbara

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Calculate number of days in a column of dates

    Hi Barbara,

    A bit more detail please.

    Does a cell in that column contain many dates or just 1?

    If the former, give an example of how you would manually calculate the
    production days with say 3 dates in the cell, and how the dates are
    differentiated.

    If the latter, what signifies a start date and what an end date?

    Do start and end dates get included?

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Barbara
    Guest

    Re: Calculate number of days in a column of dates

    Hi Bob, thaks for your reply. I' ll be more specific giving you part of my
    sheet.

    05-01-2004 Vigaria
    05-01-2004 Vigaria
    06-01-2004 Vigaria
    06-01-2004 Vigaria
    06-01-2004 Vigaria
    06-01-2004 Vigaria
    07-01-2004 Vigaria
    07-01-2004 Vigaria
    08-01-2004 Vigaria
    08-01-2004 Vigaria
    08-01-2004 Vigaria
    08-01-2004 Vigaria
    09-01-2004 Cabouca
    09-01-2004 Vigaria
    09-01-2004 Vigaria
    12-01-2004 Cabouca

    Here, we have 6 days of production. Hope that you can help me.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Calculate number of days in a column of dates

    Is this simply the highest date less the lowest? If so, then

    =NETWORKDAYS(MIN(A1:A1000),MAX(A1:A1000))

    NETWORKDAYS is part of the analysis toolpak add-in, so that must be
    installed.

  5. #5
    Barbara
    Guest

    Re: Calculate number of days in a column of dates

    Hi again,

    I still have a problem!!!
    in this list, with your formula, it returns 16 days. But the right answer is
    14. Why? How can I have the right answer?
    02-Dez
    02-Dez
    02-Dez
    02-Dez
    02-Dez
    02-Dez
    02-Dez
    02-Dez
    03-Dez
    07-Dez
    07-Dez
    09-Dez
    10-Dez
    10-Dez
    13-Dez
    13-Dez
    13-Dez
    14-Dez
    14-Dez
    15-Dez
    15-Dez
    15-Dez
    15-Dez
    16-Dez
    16-Dez
    17-Dez
    17-Dez
    17-Dez
    20-Dez
    20-Dez
    21-Dez
    21-Dez
    21-Dez
    21-Dez
    21-Dez
    22-Dez
    22-Dez
    23-Dez
    23-Dez

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Calculate number of days in a column of dates

    Barbara,

    Is this because NETWORKDAYS is including both the start and end dates as
    part of the difference, and you just want the days between? If so, I was
    going to say just subtract 2 from it, but just in case the max or Min dates
    are weekend days then use

    =NETWORKDAYS(MIN(A1:A1000),MAX(A1:A1000))-(WEEKDAY(MIN(A1:A1000),2)<6)-(WEEK
    DAY(MAX(A1:A1000),2)<6)

  7. #7
    Barbara
    Guest

    Re: Calculate number of days in a column of dates

    Bob,
    The problem here is because there are no records for 6-dec and 8-dec which
    are week days.

    Is there any other way to calculate the number of days introduced in my sheet?

  8. #8
    bj
    Guest

    Re: Calculate number of days in a column of dates

    another thing which can happen is if there are days with no production which
    is not a holiday or week end, the network days will give a high answer

    something which might work is
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000<>A2:A1001),--(A1:A1000<>""))
    if all of the dates are in order.

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Calculate number of days in a column of dates

    Hi again Barbara,

    So you just want to count the unique dates, including Sat and Sun?

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A1000<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A1000,A1:A1000&""))