Month/Year Field Help

  1. #1
    tamato43
    Guest

    Month/Year Field Help

    I'm rying to create a Month and Year (MM/YY) field on a spreadsheet to
    document expiration date.

    I've formatted the cell to show Month/Year (MM/YY, MM-YY, Mon-YY), but when
    I just enter month and year, e.g. 03/06, it defaults to Mar-05.

    Am I doing something wrong?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Month/Year Field Help

    Yes, date input assumes you will start with the day (month in the US), and
    then assumes a month (day) and if you don't add a year it defaults to this
    year.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    tamato43
    Guest

    Re: Month/Year Field Help

    Is there a way to format it correctly then? to just show Month year?

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Month/Year Field Help

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 08:22:01 -0700, "tamato43"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm rying to create a Month and Year (MM/YY) field on a spreadsheet to
    >document expiration date.
    >
    >I've formatted the cell to show Month/Year (MM/YY, MM-YY, Mon-YY), but when
    >I just enter month and year, e.g. 03/06, it defaults to Mar-05.
    >
    >Am I doing something wrong?

    You are making the common error of assuming that cell formatting has anything
    to do with data parsing with regard to input of dates.

    Your format changes only affect how Excel displays the dates.

    How Excel will parse your date INPUT depends on different rules. Briefly, if
    you only input in the form of 00/00, it will interpret this (if possible) as
    mm/dd and append the current year.

    However, if "dd" is a number greater than the number of days in "mm"
    interpreted as a month, then it will interpret the result as mm/yy.

    The best solution depends on your application. One method would be to use a
    form for input with different fields for Month and Year, and then have your
    routines interpret that input according to your own rules.

    Another method would be to enter the full date.

    Still another method would be to preformat the cell as text, do your entry and
    have an event VB Macro running to interpret the input according to your own
    rules.

    --ron

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Month/Year Field Help

    You can get it to show MM/YY but you still have to input it all.