a condition question

  1. #1
    Penny
    Guest

    a condition question

    I have two columns of data. I want to know the average GPA of only those
    students at Carter Middle School. Help?

    GPA(COL A) School (COL H)
    3.3 Carter Middle School
    2.3 Carter Middle School
    2.8 Centennial
    4.0 Carter Middle School

  2. #2
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: a condition question

    =SUMPRODUCT((B1:B4="Carter Middle
    School")*A1:A4)/SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B4="Carter Middle School"))

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Penny
    Guest

    Re: a condition question

    I should have been more specific. I thought you were going to use the
    average function and then I was hoping to figure out the rest. I also need
    to be able to compute the standard deviations, minimum, and maximum.

    Thanks, Penny

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: a condition question

    I've responded further to you in your earlier thread, suggesting the use of
    AVERAGE(IF(...)) array formulas. Take a look there.
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: a condition question

    If you don't mind creating an extra column, you could do one of the following:

    Lee's assume that the GPA's are in Column A and the names of schools in Col
    H, and that Col I is empty; use the formula =IF(H1="Carter Middle
    School",A1*1,"") in the cell I1 and drag the formula down the column. Column
    I thus created will contain GPA values only for Carter Middle Schhol in the
    respective rows and will be blank in rows corresponding to other schools.
    Now you can find the average, stdev, max, and min for Col I.

    An alternative approach may be,

    Create a dummy column (say Column I) with consecurive numbers,
    1,2,.........n, and sort the spread sheet in ascending/descending order of
    Col H (containing school names). Data for the Carter Middle School would be
    in a group, and you can calculate the average, etc., for that range. Cut and
    paste those values with paste special, so that they would not change if you
    were to restore the spread sheet to the original order (by resorting the
    spread-sheet with the dummy column, i.e., Column I, you created).

    B.R. Ramachandran