Spreadsheet for customer product form

  1. #1

    Smile Spreadsheet for customer product form

    Hi,

    I am new and this is my first post. So please forgive me in advance for my ignorance but I only know the basics of Excel right now. I have been searching the web for days and finally came across your forum.

    What I am trying to accomplish is I want customers to be able to select from a long list of products.

    How do I make several drop down list where they can select a product or more than one product in the list and then the product they select with the information they input on that row, like quantity etc. will be added to another spreadsheet, and that spread sheet the rows will go one after the other.

    Here's an example of my product list...

    Description in cell A11 Quanity B11 Sale Price C11
    Next row, King solid fitted blue/grey in cell A12 10 in cell B12 $300.00 in cell C12

    Description Quanity Sale Price

    KING SOLID FITTED BLUE/GREY 10 $300.00

    Please let me know if I need to give you more information, and thanks for any help, links or advice you can give!

    KL

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Spreadsheet for customer product form

    You can create your drop down lists using Data Validation, and the
    subsequent columns along the row can be populated using Vlookup formulas
    which would poll your existing data lists.

    You can find the particulars for these functions and procedures at your
    "One-Stop-Shopping-Store"<g>, at Debra Dalgleish's web site.

    Start with the "D's" for Data Validation, and then go to the end for
    Vlookup.

    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "KatyLady" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    PC
    Guest

    Re: Spreadsheet for customer product form

    Data Validation will provide the drop-dows and VLOOKUP will populate the
    other fields. However it seems that the OP also wishes to have the "order"
    transferred to another worksheet. That can be accomplished with a VB
    Userform and some additional code to transfer the results to the list.

    My 2 cents. It also looks like the OP really needs a something similar to a
    sales database/shopping cart and there are applications that are far
    superior to XL for this purpose. Given the development time required to
    create this in XL, and the XL's somewhat limited capabilities as a database,
    it is probably cheaper to obtain the appropriate software rather than
    reinvent this particular wheel.

    PC

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You can create your drop down lists using Data Validation, and the
    > subsequent columns along the row can be populated using Vlookup formulas
    > which would poll your existing data lists.
    >
    > You can find the particulars for these functions and procedures at your
    > "One-Stop-Shopping-Store"<g>, at Debra Dalgleish's web site.
    >
    > Start with the "D's" for Data Validation, and then go to the end for
    > Vlookup.

    > HTH,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Spreadsheet for customer product form

    You may be right - BUT:

    I run an entire textile plant, two of them in fact, exclusively with XL,
    except where the financials are exported to Mas90 for the final A/P, A/R,
    and G/L reporting to the accountants.
    That's including payroll and invoicing, and dye formulations with metric
    conversions and inventory control, both for dye and chemicals, as well as
    the greige goods and finished goods.

    This is however, a entity that has been created, and has evolved over the
    course of the past 10 years because we couldn't, at that particular time,
    afford any fancy (read that expensive) "outside" software (or consultants
    .... sorry guys<g>).

    How many other start-up organizations are "making do" with whatever they can
    get their hands on ... cheaply ... to make their dreams come to pass.

    Any help that they can get at these forums is definitely affordable (cheap
    at twice the price ... no?<g>).

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

    !

  5. #5
    Thanks guys. I am taking every option and looking at it. Great site Ragdyer! I wish I wasn't so tired today, it would be much easier for me!

    I just started with this company and I am amazed at all the ways they do things. I just recently taught them how to use their transfer keys on the phone instead getting up and walking into my office...YIKES! and like this order list, right now, they have customer fax in orders, and a lot do it by hand. Can you imagine the human errors made, the time wasted calling people to deceifer hand writing,? It's amazing! But the biggest problem is my lack of experience with Excel. I think you are right though Rag, I think I can get it done through Excel, at least get them started with something other than hand written orders, and then possibly improving that as I learn.

    Thanks, you guys are great!

    KL

  6. #6
    PC
    Guest

    Re: Spreadsheet for customer product form

    Yes, XL is a great tool and an experienced user can accomplish a great deal
    with this single piece of software rather quickly and a novice can over time
    develop some very solid applications.

    However, when I see the words " I only know the basics of Excel right now"
    in conjunction with a request for complete instructions for a rather robust
    application I am confident that the best advice is that which I provided (as
    an aside prefaced by "My 2 cents" BTW):

    "Given the development time required to create this in XL, and the XL's
    somewhat limited capabilities as a database, it is probably cheaper to
    obtain the appropriate software rather than reinvent this particular wheel."

    Keep in mind, this is an application that the OP's customers will use. For
    that to be effective it will need among other things solid error handling
    procedures, help screens, the ability to add/delete items.... It is
    certainly more than a data validation list accompanied by a few Vlookups.

    Good advice is not limited to instructions on how to do something, it also
    includes the advice, when it makes sense financially and otherwise, to
    pursue alternative solutions. This case seemed to warrant the latter.

    PC

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You may be right - BUT:
    >
    > I run an entire textile plant, two of them in fact, exclusively with XL,
    > except where the financials are exported to Mas90 for the final A/P, A/R,
    > and G/L reporting to the accountants.
    > That's including payroll and invoicing, and dye formulations with metric
    > conversions and inventory control, both for dye and chemicals, as well as
    > the greige goods and finished goods.
    >
    > This is however, a entity that has been created, and has evolved over the
    > course of the past 10 years because we couldn't, at that particular time,
    > afford any fancy (read that expensive) "outside" software (or consultants
    > ... sorry guys<g>).
    >
    > How many other start-up organizations are "making do" with whatever they

    can
    > get their hands on ... cheaply ... to make their dreams come to pass.
    >
    > Any help that they can get at these forums is definitely affordable (cheap
    > at twice the price ... no?<g>).
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

    > "PC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Data Validation will provide the drop-dows and VLOOKUP will populate the
    > > other fields. However it seems that the OP also wishes to have the

    > "order"
    > > transferred to another worksheet. That can be accomplished with a VB
    > > Userform and some additional code to transfer the results to the list.
    > >
    > > My 2 cents. It also looks like the OP really needs a something similar

    > > sales database/shopping cart and there are applications that are far
    > > superior to XL for this purpose. Given the development time required to
    > > create this in XL, and the XL's somewhat limited capabilities as a

    > database,
    > > it is probably cheaper to obtain the appropriate software rather than
    > > reinvent this particular wheel.
    > >
    > > PC
    > >
    > > "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > You can create your drop down lists using Data Validation, and the
    > > > subsequent columns along the row can be populated using Vlookup

    formulas
    > > > which would poll your existing data lists.
    > > >
    > > > You can find the particulars for these functions and procedures at

    your
    > > > "One-Stop-Shopping-Store"<g>, at Debra Dalgleish's web site.
    > > >
    > > > Start with the "D's" for Data Validation, and then go to the end for
    > > > Vlookup.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > HTH,
    > > >
    > > > RD

    > > -
    > > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may

    benefit
    > !

    > > -
    > > > "KatyLady" <[email protected]>

    wrote

  7. #7
    Ragdyer,

    Just wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

    I used your order form, modified it to fit my needs, and it's working great! I really think this will work until we get on the net. I still have about 300 products to copy and paste along with descriptions, but at least I know it works! I am going to first send it to just a couple of really good customers for trial and error though. The time saved and less errors the order entry person is going to have will be amazing!

    If you or PC wanna check it out when I'm through, let me know and I'll email it to ya.

    Thanks again!!!

    KL

  8. #8
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Spreadsheet for customer product form

    <<"I used your order form">>
    You mean Debra's order form.

    Appreciate the feed-back, and I'm sure that Debra also appreciates your
    enthusiasm over all her work, putting that example on her website.