Paste comma delimited text into a spread sheet

  1. #1
    Dave Plyer
    Guest

    Paste comma delimited text into a spread sheet

    I use the Import Text Wizard to paste comma delimited text into an Excel
    spread sheet. I end up with a single row of multiple columns. One column for
    each piece of delimited text. What I really want is delimited text in a
    single column of mutliple rows. One row for each piece of delimited text. How
    can this be done?

  2. #2
    AndyBear
    Guest

    RE: Paste comma delimited text into a spread sheet

    Sounds like all you want to do is to 'transpose' what you have successfully
    imported so that the columns become rows and vice versa.

    If so, fairly easy.

    1) Import your text file as before, so that everything that *should* be
    row(s) continues to be in its own column(s); i.e. use the 'Delimited' and
    'Comma' options during the import step.

    2) Select ALL the rows and columns that have been inserted into the
    resulting EXCEL sheet.

    3) Select (click) the cell in the spreadsheet where you would like the
    correctly orientated table to start from.

    4) Select 'Paste Special' from the 'Edit' menu.

    5) Click the 'Transpose' option.

    6) Select 'OK'.

    A correctly orientated copy of your original import should now appear.

    --
    "May the Word be with you."

  3. #3
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Paste comma delimited text into a spread sheet

    "AndyBear" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sounds like all you want to do is to 'transpose' what you have
    > successfully
    > imported so that the columns become rows and vice versa.
    >
    > If so, fairly easy.
    >
    > 1) Import your text file as before, so that everything that *should* be
    > row(s) continues to be in its own column(s); i.e. use the 'Delimited' and
    > 'Comma' options during the import step.
    >
    > 2) Select ALL the rows and columns that have been inserted into the
    > resulting EXCEL sheet.
    >
    > 3) Select (click) the cell in the spreadsheet where you would like the
    > correctly orientated table to start from.
    >
    > 4) Select 'Paste Special' from the 'Edit' menu.
    >
    > 5) Click the 'Transpose' option.
    >
    > 6) Select 'OK'.
    >
    > A correctly orientated copy of your original import should now appear.

    You may need a "Copy" between steps 2 & 3?
    --
    David Biddulph

  4. #4

    Re: Paste comma delimited text into a spread sheet

    And this will only work if the number of columns (later transposed to rows) is
    256 or fewer.

  5. #5
    Jay Langdon
    Guest

    Re: Paste comma delimited text into a spread sheet

    So, what can be done if you have more than 256?

  6. #6

    Re: Paste comma delimited text into a spread sheet

    use multiple worksheets???

    The first 256 columns in sheet1, then second 256 in sheet2, etc.

    Or use multiple rows for each "record"

    Column A--some sort of key/index
    column B:IV holds data

    Personally, I wouldn't want to work with either of these formats.

    Maybe a different application would be better.