Preventing a Filter from affecting cell shading

  1. #1

    Preventing a Filter from affecting cell shading

    I've shaded every other line on a spreadsheet to make it easier to read, but I'm also using filters. When I filter results, the cell shading is also filtered out, so instead of white line/gray line over and over I get blocks of colour which defeat the purpose of the shading. Does anyone know a way around this ?

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Preventing a Filter from affecting cell shading

    Use this
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Expert
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,256
    This is a beginning (Conditional Formatting)

    Blue: =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3;B$6:B4);2)=0
    Green: =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3;B$6:B4);2)=1

    Ola Sandström
    Attached Files Attached Files

  4. #4
    Thanks for the help guys, but I'm a total newbie to conditional formatting... The range I need to get setup are D8:D34. Could you elaborate on how/where I should enter these formulas ?

    Just to be a royal pain, I'm trying to alternate between white and light green as well if you know the correct colour codes.

  5. #5
    Forum Expert
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,256
    Sure.
    Here is video that shows how to use Conditional Formatting:
    http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...rmatexcel.html

    Also I've enclosed an update that should work just a little bit better.

    Hope it helps

  6. #6
    Absolutely golden, thank you so much Ola !

  7. #7
    Forum Expert
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,256
    Glad it worked
    Thanks for the feedback
    Ola Sandström

  8. #8
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Preventing a Filter from affecting cell shading

    You can do this if you add a helper column to the table:

    Insert a blank column (column A in this example)
    Add a heading, e.g. Count
    In row 2, enter the following formula, where column B
    contains no blank cells within the table range:
    =SUBTOTAL(3,$B$2:$B2)
    Copy the formula down to all rows of data
    Select cell A1
    Select all the cells on the worksheet (Ctrl + A)
    Choose Format>Conditional Formatting
    From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is
    In the formula box, type:
    =AND($A1<>"",MOD($A1,2)=0)
    Click the Format button, and select a colour for the shaded rows
    Click OK, click OK

    Filter the table, the count will change, and alternate rows will be shaded.

    guilbj2 wrote:
    > I've shaded every other line on a spreadsheet to make it easier to read,
    > but I'm also using filters. When I filter results, the cell shading is
    > also filtered out, so instead of white line/gray line over and over I
    > get blocks of colour which defeat the purpose of the shading. Does
    > anyone know a way around this ?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  9. #9
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Preventing a Filter from affecting cell shading

    After reading Debra's reply I see that I give you a wrong answer.
    You say Filter and not Sort

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl